Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fás JobBank

Options
  • 28-10-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if this is actually any good?

I've been applying to nearly every job that's newly advertised in my field for the last few weeks and I've not gotten a single reply. Surely if I'm applying for that many jobs I should expect at least one reply right?

Are some of the jobs posted here token gestures for companies to advertise as a scheme they're involved in? as in advertising a number of fictitious jobs to make a quota as part of some scheme to give the impression of recruiting?

Finding it very hard to keep motivated to continue applying for jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I also never hear anything back from any job I've applied for on that site. I'm guessing the jobs are either fake or way too many people are using that site & the companies are getting 1000's of replies they aren't able to look at/answer them all. The companies are probably just looking at the first 20 or so replies they get in and deleting all the rest (that's what I used to do in my old job whenever I had to hire anyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Are you getting replies back from other sites like Jobs.ie and Monster?

As was mentioned, its simply down to numbers. Any given job ad is getting over 500 applicants PER DAY, so it's most likely just gettin lost amongst the rest

Tip for the ads on Fas: They usually give the contact details on the bottom of the page, so unless they state 'email applications only' then a postal application might have more luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tbh, I've never heard back from any job that I've applied for online. Not sure if its the climate we're in, or if its something else. It always used to be the case that you'd get a few responses, but these days I get nothing at all..... Not even a PFO.

Its a sad state of affairs we're in really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Same here total waste of time fas and jobs.ie iv been trying to get back into the
    bar trade have over 17 years experiance in pubs and five star hotels and not one reply from any off them i really think they dont want to employ irish going by most of the questions they ask when you apply questions like,

Do you have a valid permit to work in Ireland?

Are you eligible to work full time in Ireland?

Do you speak fluent English?

Are you legally entitled to work in Ireland?

Now questions like that you know there not looking for an Irish person
    very sad really the way this country is gone, looks like il have to go abroad again soon for work as having no luck here what so ever here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

patwicklow wrote: »
    very sad really the way this country is gone, looks like il have to go abroad again soon for work as having no luck here what so ever here.

That is standard practice in most jobs these days. I have seen it in IT jobs advertised, it is down to the fact that anyone can apply for the job, but they want to weed out those that can legally work in Ireland from those that can't.

It does not indicate a preference for a particular nationality (which of course would be illegal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

patwicklow wrote: »
    Same here total waste of time fas and jobs.ie iv been trying to get back into the
    bar trade have over 17 years experiance in pubs and five star hotels and not one reply from any off them i really think they dont want to employ irish going by most of the questions they ask when you apply questions like,

Do you have a valid permit to work in Ireland?

Are you eligible to work full time in Ireland?

Do you speak fluent English?

Are you legally entitled to work in Ireland?

Employers are not allowed to discriminate against non Irish people that are entitled to live and work here. They have to ask those questions. I think you're reading too much into it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

My last 2 jobs came from fas' website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My job came from the FAS website. Afaik they are all real jobs, they don't allow agency ads up there.

With online ads they get hundreds if not thousands applicants. They simply don't reply to them all. I treat them as fire and forget.

If you are getting no replies at all, perhaps relook at your CV, or skillset. Also doing everything online isn't the best way to find a job. You get better success asking around friends and family to keep an eye out for jobs for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

My problem with Fas jobsbank is, every second job on it is an internship, so unless you are getting Jobseekers for more than a year you can't apply for half the jobs there anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can filter them out no? Ditto agency jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

She Devil wrote: »
    My problem with Fas jobsbank is, every second job on it is an internship, so unless you are getting Jobseekers for more than a year you can't apply for half the jobs there anyway!
    You can filter out all the internship and work-placement-programme jobs

And for the Job-bridge internships, you only need to be claiming for 3 months

Advertisement