Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange web or cocoon in The Burren

Options
  • 28-10-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

I was in the Burren national park during this Summer just past, probably June. I was a couple of hundred metres away from a track along The Burren Way. There was a lake and a grassy area. This area was reasonably remote, even though houses were visible some kilometres away.

In any case, I spotted something and I really have no idea what it was.

In a bush, about five feet from the ground there was a web or cocoon-like structure. It was approximately conical in shape, perhaps about 8 inches in height and maybe 5 inches in diameter at the widest part.

The material from which it was made was like a spider's web, but it seemed thicker. It was white and opaque.

I didn't touch it, and I didn't take a photo unfortunately.

There were a number of us there. One of the lads is quite interested in wildlife and conservation and he didn't know what this was. One of the other lads suggested that perhaps Shelob lived in there.

Nobody was taking any drugs, in case the question arises!

Does anyone have any ideas of what this might have been?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It could have been a Gypsy Moth Cocoon.

stock-photo-photo-of-a-gypsy-moth-cocoon-on-a-tree-branch-12447388.jpg

It's a long shot though, I think they're very rare immigrants here, not sure if they've been seen in the west or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I think Small Eggar is a more likely candidate than gypsy moth.

Here's a post with pics from earlier this year and another thread (by me :D) last year. Does that look like the one you saw?
    Also have a look at the distribution map on the Moths Ireland Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Looks more like the Small Eggar, going from memory.

That's interesting. Thanks.

Advertisement