Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Xray & Braces

Options
  • 28-10-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Have braces on at the moment and had no xrays when I got them on. Have 4 fillings and get my teeth cleaned regularly etc...

Braces are on 3 months and getting nerve pain the last two days, rang my dentist for an appointment they said it would not cost anything for the appointment because I'm getting my braces there and it could be something to do with them.

Went and had the appointment today, had to get xrays cause no visible damage to the tooth, there is decay in the tooth and it needs to be filled. Also both my wisdom teeth on the bottom are grown in but at a 90degree angle. The dentist I seen today was not my usual dentist and said they would have done xrays before braces as the decay would have been seen.

When I went to leave I was charged a €70 exam fee, and I'l have to fork out for the filling next friday as there were no other appointments free before.

I queried the charge and was told there was nothing on the file about no being charged and ask on friday.

I understand if I have an issue with my tooth I need to pay to have it looked at but all was done was quick look in the mouth and then the xray which really should have been done 3months ago? Or am I being annoyed with no reason?

Are Xrays a standard before braces? Or am I being extra picky?

Its just I am already paying €4500 and wasn't expecting an extra €200 on the bill..........:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It would have been best to sort the decay before the braces went on, however the dentist did not put the decay there and it is fair that you should have to pay to have it treated. It may seem unfair to have to fork out extra, but the dentist has to do extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

It would have been best to sort the decay before the braces went on, however the dentist did not put the decay there and it is fair that you should have to pay to have it treated. It may seem unfair to have to fork out extra, but the dentist has to do extra work.

Sorry my first post wasnt too clear. I agree with what you said. And I have no issue paying the 120euro for the filling but just wasn't impressed with the 70euro for the exam to get the X-ray and was wondering if this should have been done at the start of my treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Before I got my braces on there was an x-ray taken to ensure no decay and there was an extra cost of the x-ray of 50e so even if an x-ray had been taken at the start it probably wouldn't have been included in what you paid.

Thanks for the response. I'm getting my tooth filled on friday morning.

I'll ask then would I have been charged extra for the xrays at the beginning. I'm just annoyed that I might have to get the wisdom teeth out on the bottom, if Xrays would have been done at the start I would have taken the extra costs into consideration.

Now I could be looking at possibly €700 onto my bill which is already €4450 :(

Just to update went to get the filling done today and was told it wasn't needed as I'm no longer in pain and it can be treated when my braces come off.

Also asked about the exam fee and it was taken off the cost of my bill.

Also was told my wisdom teeth are fine and as long as they don't cause me any bother they are fine left in. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement