Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a bike privately...

Options
  • 28-10-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Folks,

I'm planning on selling my '04 Multistrada privately but, having never sold anything privately before, I'm trying to find out what are the things I should be aware of when selling a bike as opposed to anything else?

How are test rides handled for private bike sales re: insurance liability, theft risk etc.

Are there obvious dos/dont's?

Any advice appreciated!

HH
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No cash in your hand, no test ride. Doesn't matter if they "pulled up" in a car or left a friend there. No1 rule.

Careful about what you let them see, locking arrangements, where you store the keys etc. Small chance of a buyer scouting for a theft.

Engine cold when they arrive. If I see a bike with warm engine when I pull up, I won't buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Send me a PM with whatever details you have. Might have someone interested.

Cuddlesworth's advice is bang on btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Engine cold when they arrive. If I see a bike with warm engine when I pull up, I won't buy.

Dont agree with this one totally...sometimes a seller might have a few punters before you get there....

Deal with one guy only, most times you'll get a "group" coming along....
    Leave the chain/u lock on the bike....once you start the bike it only takes a little distraction and he's off....
    Have a mate or two with you...safety in numbers....
    Keep the keys with YOU at all times....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Tried to sell my brothers gold wing for him last year.

22 people came to view the bike. None had cash with them. Some wanted a test drive so I let them in the confines of a very large storage area with one only exit blocked by my van.
    One had no gear with them and ask to go on the open road for a spin. Others offered their car keys if I let them out, one offered a computer and some laptops from his boot.

Never was alone and a few turned up with mates to check it out for them. Can make your very nervous.

After the 1st few I chained the bike while showing them. A few would have to have dealt with a warm engine so not sure about that.

Do not have the vlc on you or the spare keys. Leave them with your mate.

After reading a tread here I covered up the plate when posting on sites.

I don't even trust bank drafts. So electronic transfer or cash IMHO.

So, if your going to have as many views as I had your going to meet very varied people so just always air on the sided of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Buying or selling only do a deal in daylight, the buyer gets to see properly what he's buying and the seller gets a proper look at the cash. Forged euro notes are out there. Unless I knew a buyer personally I'd never accept a cheque or bank draft.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 HybridHumour

Thanks for the advice folks - decided against selling for the time being. Hoping to get more time in the saddle come the new year so going to hold off until then I reckon...

Thanks again - Hyb

Advertisement