Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partition table editors/creators

Options
  • 27-10-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭

I have a 320GB 2.5" SATA drive that I haven't used for a while after it was dropped off a fridge (not by me !) Having scanned it with HD Tune Pro, it seems most of the errors are in one big contiguous block, about 30% of the way through the drive.

I'd like to create 2 partitions, before and after this region, which can be identified by LBA, and try using some of this space.

Now I know, modern drives do clever things with firmware and spare sectors, so when the OS sees bad sectors, its been going on for a while and used up some other bank of invisible sectors, known as spres by the firmware. So I know this aint going to be the most reliable drive; but thats OK, its only going to get a load of movies put on it, not some critical corporate data or family videos.

Is there a partition table editor I can get to input LBA values for start and end of partitions? Are cylinder boundaries important anymore ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

Symantec did (or maybe still do) an app called "Ptedit".

Google it and have a look, but I reckon it'll see you right.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Download the free HOME version of EaseUS partition manager from here http://www.partition-tool.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I used to have ptedit, and it stopped working after I moved from win98 to win2K. Maybe they have a newer version. I'll give EaseUS a try.

Advertisement