Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOG Fouling - The worst town in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I live in Wexford in the Crostown area. I often walk into town and down the quay.
    Wexford must have the filthiest (habits) dog owners in Ireland.
    The amount of dog S*$T on the foot paths is unbelievable.
    I have frequently witnessed people allowing their dogs foul the paths and walk away leaving a steaming pile behing them.
    I work in the whitemill estate area of town and if you have ever walked around that estate you need to be good at hop scotch!
    This appears to be acceptable practice by the dog owning population of Wexford.

1. Are Wexford dog owners the biggest offenders that you have encountered?
    2. If yes, any suggestion to improve the situation (be creative)?
    3. If no, name and shame the other town.
    :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

1. Are Wexford dog owners the biggest offenders that you have encountered?

I'm honestly not sure if there ever was a dog shít survey carried out nationwide... so it's probably hard to determine which county has the highest amount... but at a guess I'd say it's Dublin given the population and probability that there are more dogs. But maybe the ratio of dogs to people is less in Dublin?

More resources to police it, stricter enforcement, heavier fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As a former inmate of Bray in County Wicklow, I am outraged that Wexford would try and usurp our title. :D As for enforcement, there is none in Wexford or anywhere else. People that don't have gardens shouldn't have dogs as precious few dog walkers are prepared to carry pooper scoopers with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 daveyt

I hear that in Kilkenny, its not just the dogs that do the fouling, some of the people do too

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Just go for a walk around Enniscorthy if you guys want to see dog ****e. But what really annoys me is that people will bring their beloved indoor Doggie Woggie for a Poo Poo outside and they will let the MUTT **** outside some one else Driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Send the owners to jail. Disgusting people. People who don't give a toss about the rest of us.

It's 150.00 euro fine, why aren't the community wardens doing their job, i've seen it with my own eyes that a blind eye is turned to this behaviour by the owners. It is so gross. Ugh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've never seen or heard of anyone in the County being fined for allowing their dog to foul footpaths/green areas etc. In England you're seen as scum for not clearing up after your dog and even the general public will admonish you.

Over here it's a different story.

The worst places in Enniscorthy seem to be along Mill Park Road and Milehouse Road where we just happen to have schools with hundreds of pupils trying to dodge dogsh1te every say.
    If the community warden took a spin around town between 7-8am he'd see just how many let dogs destroy the place.
    New Ross is also terrible for it,the grass verges by the footpaths are strewn with dogsh1t and guess where kids want to run??

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

As a former inmate of Bray in County Wicklow, I am outraged that Wexford would try and usurp our title. :D As for enforcement, there is none in Wexford or anywhere else. People that don't have gardens shouldn't have dogs as precious few dog walkers are prepared to carry pooper scoopers with them.

My brother lives in Bray and it's still pretty high up the list, I'd say :D

However, if you want to see the worst places I'd say head to most French towns, fantastic as most of them are. Not quite sure why it is that there is so much excrement on the pavements there, as they have a very different dog culture insomuch as they carry most of the beasts everywhere! Are they all crapping from arm height?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

zerks wrote: »
    I've never seen or heard of anyone in the County being fined for allowing their dog to foul footpaths/green areas etc. In England you're seen as scum for not clearing up after your dog and even the general public will admonish you.

Over here it's a different story.

Sadly, this is changing rapidly. It's true there are fines but to be honest they are rarely applied... some local councils are better than others, but most don't have the resources to follow complaints up. And the police generally won't do anything. I watched a dog walker allow his dog foul the pavement a couple of weekends ago while two policemen were chatting and watching on the other side of the road... they didn't say a word to the dog owner.

As for the general public admonishing others, that's even more rarely applied as there is a very great fear of being beaten to a pulp if one did so! Where I live in London it's relatively commonplace to see steaming piles on the pavement, admittedly not as much as back home, but it still happens. When I first came here in the 90s it was quite rare , but over the years it's been getting worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I walk my dog on the quays in wex town all of the time.

Wexford BC provice a great facility with a THREE poop stations along the walk at the quay. These dispense individial, disposable, paper poop a scoopers which are provided to the public FREE OF CHARGE along with poop bins.

I always use them and it vexes me no end to see the amount of dogs ****e littering the area even thought its made insanely easy for people to do the deacent thing and SCOOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chiurce

I was beginning to think that I was completely wrong and that this is standard acceptable practice.
    My faith in decency has been restored.

By the way, while out walking today I skipped over some poo on the beginning of the pedestrian walkway at the Clonard roundabout. You know the dimpled area for the visually impaired. Right in the middle of it.

That has got to be intentional, Right?

• Advertisement

According to Enniscorthy Councillor, John O'Rourke, in today's Guardian, the newly pedestrianised Rafter Street is covered in the stuff and the council's street cleaning machines spread rather than remove it - the mind boggles. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Wexford is off the scale for dog sh*te, a filthy town full of filthy dog owners, some parts of the town are just short of having open sewers there is so much excrement lying on the pavements :mad:

Donelson wrote: »
    Wexford is off the scale for dog sh*te, a filthy town full of filthy dog owners, some parts of the town are just short of having open sewers there is so much excrement lying on the pavements :mad:

Away with you, it's Bray's claim to fame - keep off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

chiurce wrote: »

By the way, while out walking today I tossed off over some poo on the beginning of the pedestrian walkway at the Clonard roundabout. You know the area in the middle of it?

That has got to be intentional, Right?

Hmmmm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

MrSausage wrote: »
    Hmmmm :confused:

most unfortunate choice of words from chiurce. very funny though. looks like his/her comment has been altered.

By the by, was driving back to work yesterday along the island road. there was a woman standing on the pavement outside the car-park near Kavanagh's service station watching her dog delivery a nice 'package' onto the pavement. Herself and her dog were in full view of the regular traffic queue heading into town and i just wished i had a camera with me. This behavior is just maddening and disgusting. Some people need to get over their fear of having to clean up after their dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Next time take a pic with your phone and post it here. name and shame the disgusting B*stards!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

ha, wish we could. don't think the mods would take to kindly to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭MrSausage

Donelson wrote: »
    Next time take a pic with your phone and post it here. name and shame the disgusting B*stards!

Not sure this is allowed on boards.ie. Actually I'm not even sure its even legal to do such a thing on a pedestrian walkway. Each to ones own though. Chuirce you are a strange little man. :D

Dog poo in Wexford town is terrible though, much worse than any other town in the county.

Advertisement