Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

pajero sport

Options
  • 27-10-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi im going looking at a o2 pajero sport at the weekend any tips on what i should be looking out for, all advice will be greatly appreciated thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Check it starts ok from cold, heater plugs don't last pissing time. Check there are no bubbles in the expansion tank, heads are prone to cracking. Check the 4 wheel drive is engaging and lighting up on the dash properly, vacuum solenoids give trouble. Gearboxes can be a bit noisy when idling but not that unusual. And make sure the timing belt was done. It's due every 54 thousand miles and it's quite pricey if you do both belts and all the rollers at the same time.

They're not a bad vehicle, but they have a REALLY bad turning circle and very little room to get in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

And if it's a 2.5 engine, they are absolutely alcoholic on fuel. I mean they drink the stuff.

And very smokey if the owner wasn't giving it the beans now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really can't think of a great reason to buy one, theres nothing particularly bad about them, but interior space is similar to a pickup - low roof, high floor. An older regular type pajero wouldn't be any less advanced.

I'd probably take an older hillux surf 3.0 over a pajero sport

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Check it starts ok from cold, heater plugs don't last pissing time. Check there are no bubbles in the expansion tank, heads are prone to cracking. Check the 4 wheel drive is engaging and lighting up on the dash properly, vacuum solenoids give trouble. Gearboxes can be a bit noisy when idling but not that unusual. And make sure the timing belt was done. It's due every 54 thousand miles and it's quite pricey if you do both belts and all the rollers at the same time.

They're not a bad vehicle, but they have a REALLY bad turning circle and very little room to get in and out.
    And if it's a 2.5 engine, they are absolutely alcoholic on fuel. I mean they drink the stuff.
    And very smokey if the owner wasn't giving it the beans now and again.

Sound like an expensive yolk to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

where is the expansion tank on it dont know them engines too well and surley they cant be that bad on fuel i wont be doing high milage or towing any thing maybe a small car trailor once a month or so, any idea on price for a o2 in good condition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

bbsrs wrote: »
    Sound like an expensive yolk to have

Unless your handy with a spanner, very.

mid to low 20's on juice. With an average foot.

Expansion tank is by the passenger side headlamp area. Unscrew and lift it up slightly, there is a black pipe going down into the water in the tank. Keep the bottom of the pipe submerged and get the car good and hot. If there are bubbles walk away. I've never owned one or done a long trip in one so I don't know what it would be like to live with. I have fixed a lot of them so I guess I only see them when there's a problem.

A lot of people may dis agree but I would rate the 2.7 Terrano 2 a lot better in almost every way, and they're cheap.

Also the 2000 shape landcruisers are going reasonable money these days and they are quite a good buy. But they like their diesel, on the other hand you'll always get sale for it when you want to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Company I work for recently sold one. I felt kinda sorry for the lad who bought it.

The driver who had it, moved from a 111cdi Vito to the Pajero Sport. The Vito used to be stocked to the gills, and the Pajero Sport would be carrying practically nothing, but the fuel bills on the duel card almost trebled.

And he wouldn't have the heaviest of right feet.

I can't over emphasise how thirsty they are.

Advertisement