Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is the average dentist checkup or cleaning?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone help me out who has been recently? its been far too long since i last went and id like to get an idea of a ballpark figure i should expect.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'd also like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd be better off asking in the 'Dental Issues' forum, there's usually a few dentists lurking around.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=627

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

their charter doesnt allow it. it suggests consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

50 for check up and cleaning each time, I go twice a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

€60 in Mullingar, that's only going by one dental clinic. I don't know what other dentists in town charge.:)

If you want to know what dental clinic it is, PM me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

so im looking at an average of 50/60 for the cleaning/checkup combined? i know the place i used to go (so so long ago) used to do these things separately but no idea what they used to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Random wrote: »
    so im looking at an average of 50/60 for the cleaning/checkup combined? i know the place i used to go (so so long ago) used to do these things separately but no idea what they used to charge.
    I pay 70 in Rathmines for clean and check-up. I'm covered by vhi dental which I presonally think is cool insurance for the cost of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

As far as I know cleaning's and check up's are seperate (the dentist does the check up, the hygienist does the cleaning, so there are two fee's, unless you get a combined price, i;e, a reduced price for both).

No names

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Dental Issues

dudara

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll get to this in the morning when im at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I'll get to this in the morning when im at work

The bossman will love that Heli, :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The bossman will love that Heli, :D:D

I am the boss OS !

There are to be no names mentioned, no moaning about pricing etc.

As the other posts were made in another forum I will leave them as is (bar the one with the link.

I will be keeping a close eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

I pay 65 in Dublin 6. This is the check-up and he does a quick clean too. It's not a deep clean like the hygenist would do (that's another 40 if want to go to the hygenist as well) but it does the job and I really really hate the cleaning process so it's about all I can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As far as I know cleaning's and check up's are seperate (the dentist does the check up, the hygienist does the cleaning
    I expect some are just the one dentist doing the lot still. My dentist used to clean and then they got a separate hygienist. I remember the last filling I got he injected me and usually sends me to the waiting room, there was nobody else to see so he did a ("free"/uncharged) clean while we waited for the injection to kick in. But it was not as thorough a clean as I would expect if paying the hygienist. You can't just blindly compare 2 prices, one could be giving a far better service, as with any business I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I pay €50 in the west (not a city) for an exam and cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I was of the opinion that one was entitled to a free cleaning once a year if paying PRSI. Judging by the comments left so far in the thread this is no longer the case but could somebody please clarify?

Also, by cleaning I assume scaling is what is meant? Do pardon my ignorance but I am somewhat green when it comes to dental issues and terminlolgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I was of the opinion that one was entitled to a free cleaning once a year if paying PRSI. Judging by the comments left so far in the thread this is no longer the case but could somebody please clarify?

Also, by cleaning I assume scaling is what is meant? Do pardon my ignorance but I am somewhat green when it comes to dental issues and terminlolgy

No, you're entitled to one exam per year on PRSI but that's all. That change was made from 1st Jan 2010.

I would imagine by cleaning that people mean a scale and polish. That's what I meant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

A new dentist in the Rathfarnham area has a big sign hanging on their window: Checkup and clean €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What is the difference between a hygienist and a dentist.

Also, for the prices mentioned did they include x-rays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I go to the dentist twice a year. First time I see the hygienist who just blasts off the plaque and cleans my teeth and the second time I see the dentist for a fuller inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Are we still entitled to claim one free check-up per year through PRSI, or was that scrapped for the 2012 budget?

And does this apply to all dentists, or only certain dentists who are signed up to the scheme? Seem to have read conflicting answers on this.

I don't have a medical card, but I have Aviva insurance which covers some dental expenses (I think only through Smiles clinic though), but will try to claim a free exam if I'm entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Last week, :

Check Up plus two xrays: €90
    Extraction a few days later: €90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

There are two kinds of checkups:

1. With your regular dentist who has seen your mouth before and has previous X-rays if needed. This will cost less cause you wont need so many X-rays. Look in the mouth and a cleaning.

2. With a new dentist. You will need more X-rays to survey your mouth if indicated and also the dentist will need longer to familiarise themselves with your mouth.

If you have a regular dentist then stick with them as they have previous X-rays and records which are great for telling if things are getting worse or not. Also you wont have to pay for new X-rays all the time. If you don't have a regular dentist then get one. However the worst thing you can do is to constantly change dentist as the next groupon comes along. You will end up spending more on time and records and also new dentist will not know your history and you will on average end up with more fillings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

However the worst thing you can do is to constantly change dentist.

How is one to know how good a dentist is if they don't experience the differences. The initial exam is critical, it is here that the patient will get an understanding as to the philosophy that a dentist or practice follow.

During one of my first examinations, there was a shopping list being drawn up with multiple root canal work and the whole estimate was over €3,000, at the time I gave him €45 a tooth to pull two teeth ~ I suspect the same estimate today would be double.

As contrast, I've found a few dentists who seem to care about the patients well being and are sensitive to costs and even offer free or discounted treatments to alleviate the patient's pain moresothan line the practice's balance sheet.

Individual Doctor's manner is also important, skill is one side and not all dentists are equally skilled, not all dentists have good manners, a few have both. In my experience, paying higher prices has not brought me better skill, and as I type all my memories are coming flooding back. I'll note them for my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

gbee wrote: »
    Individual Doctor's manner is also important, skill is one side and not all dentists are equally skilled, not all dentists have good manners, a few have both. In my experience, paying higher prices has not brought me better skill, and as I type all my memories are coming flooding back. I'll note them for my book.

excellence point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Absolutely, I should have said once you find a dentist you are comfortable with stick with them. Price high or low is only one factor. Different dentists manner and style suits different patients, and thankfully there is a dentist out there that will suit every patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

can anyone help me out who has been recently? its been far too long since i last went and id like to get an idea of a ballpark figure i should expect.

thanks

I believe I posted a similar question last year which ended up on some Dublin community forum (too lazy to look). Anyway.........

Had been paying €95 twice/yr with a hygienist for a scale and polish (had been €80 but increased about 2-3 yrs ago), excellent service, was a long time client but too €€€€€.

Found the same dental hygienist service (yes, the same!) for €50, so we all changed, 6 of us.

Re the dental exam - this was an extra €40, if needed.

I was specifically looking for a dental hygienist, not a dentist who provides teeth cleaning. The prices I found for an exam plus cleaning by a dentist were €60 - €100. The €60 was for a well established dental practice taken over by a 'new' dentist.

Advertisement