Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

statistics/econometrics help???

Options
  • 27-10-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

when answering a question in econometrics where you are testing hypotheses how do u know which probability distribution to use i.e normal, t-test, f-test, chi-squared???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

It will depend on the nature of the sample, the sample size and what kind of hypothesis you are testing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

As the above poster said, it depends on the sample you're looking at. If you know it follows the normal distribution, and you know the population mean, you use the z test. If it follow the t-distribution (which means you're using the sample mean as an estimate of the population mean) then it follows the t-distribution and you use a t-test (with n-1) degrees of freedom. They're the ones you'll use the most. The F-test is for checking a regression, to see if at least one of the coefficients are non-zero. And I can't remember what a chi-square test is for (I'm doing this from a hazy memory of econometrics.)

Basically, each hypothesis will specify a different test and that test will specify the distribution. Go with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

lolliemc wrote: »
    when answering a question in econometrics where you are testing hypotheses how do u know which probability distribution to use i.e normal, t-test, f-test, chi-squared???

Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321316495/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=googlcom05-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creativeASIN=0321316495

Advertisement