Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power lifting Training The big three at once.

Options
  • 27-10-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Ok

coming out of the BLABA thread which has turned into a 5/3/1 discussion.

Now i know im not strength training at the moment. But in my last 2-3 cycles i made good gains by training 2 of the lifts and maintaining one lift

So basically id focus on deadlift and squat and maintain in the bench etc.

What are peoples opinions on training this method over the train the big 3 all at once.

Discuss

P.S any reference to that Lyne Mc whatever character, spikes and crossfit will result in an instant ban...:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Ok

coming out of the BLABA thread which has turned into a 5/3/1 discussion.

Now i know im not strength training at the moment. But in my last 2-3 cycles i made good gains by training 2 of the lifts and maintaining one lift

So basically id focus on deadlift and squat and maintain in the bench etc.

What are peoples opinions on training this method over the train the big 3 all at once.

Discuss

P.S any reference to that Lyne Mc whatever character, spikes and crossfit will result in an instant ban...:p

I can see the benefit but if I was to do it id focus on squat or deadlift and bench

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I dunno, but I am interested in people findings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

From my own experiences

During Smolov i didnt deadlift..and i did bench on a linear progression style over the duration of smolov...result...2xPB's

During Gillingham Deadlift i squatted on a linear progression style and didnt bench
    result 2xpb's

edit: stupid not paying attention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

During Smolov i didnt backsquat..and i did bench on a linear progression style over the duration of smolov...result...2xPB's

Does.Not.Compute

And FWIW... I think you'll struggle to improve all 3 at once past the intermediate stage as a raw lifter. Or the rate of gain will be much slower with each if you do take that approach.

Different ball game for equipped lifters cos it's far more tech there for more scope for improvement.

I'm also going to say something radical in that strength training for 12 months of the year is pointless and you won't get anywhere doin that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Hanley wrote: »
    And FWIW... I think you'll struggle to improve all 3 at once past the intermediate stage as a raw lifter. Or the rate of gain will be much slower with each if you do take that approach.

Different ball game for equipped lifters cos it's far more tech there for more scope for improvement.

I'm also going to say something radical in that strength training for 12 months of the year is pointless and you won't get anywhere doin that.

How would you structure training over 12 months? I'm presuming a phase of Hypertrophy training would replace strength training?

How would you structure training over 12 months? I'm presuming a phase of Hypertrophy training would replace strength training?

Depends what your goals are, if you're competing in anything etc.

I'd certainly include phases focused on:
    -strength
    -hypertrophy
    -conditioning
    -having fun

EDIT: The durations and frequency are individual dependent tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭flutered

one cannot jut do strength training all year, one has to have a few rest periods ie where one is only tipping away, if one aims for three peaks that is max, one goes stale fast, one has to stay fresh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You specifically or in general?

I think it's fine for beginners, but not for intermediate onwards. Bill Starrs would disagree with me though so maybe I'm wrong. His intermediate programs all train the big 3 +press and rows.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

in general...i really dont care about me anymore :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement