Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

career in councelling

Options
  • 27-10-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys.

Im not sure if im posting in the appropriate place but here goes. Im a social science graduate with 5 years social care experience. I am interested in moving into councelling. What would be the best path to follow? I am looking at a post graduate diploma in councelling and psychotherapy (DBS). Any info or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

Firstly, it is spelled 'counselling', it makes it easier to find stuff on an internet search if you put in the correct spelling.

I think the The Psychological Society of Ireland career guidance section is a good place to start learning about the options available to you.

http://www.psihq.ie/training_careerguide.asp

Good luck with it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I would check out the Psychology Forum it will have much more information. You might want to do an internet search on the Statutory Regulation thats coming down the line for all positions in the caring professions. I'm sure in social care that you are somewhat aware of this. The psychology forum has a sticky about it too.

From where you are educationally wise it can still take a while to get into counselling. They are looking at making all post grad courses 4 years in duration, this hasn't been brought into effect yet but it is one of the recomendations.

Aside from that it can be an expensive road, as you will have the cost of the course itself, your own therapy as well as costs for supervision too. The amount of therapy and supervision will depend on what type of counselling/psychotherapy our want to purse. But again the Psychology forum has a lot of info around this. :)

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭postgrad23

You could also consider psychiatric nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As noted above the psychology forum will be able to deal with your question better. There are a few posters there who studied in DBS. I studied there myself but I did the Psychoanalytic BA and MA. Additionally you will get info on other courses that are available.

Advertisement