Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy metal fans get confused by classical music.

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

There is a music therapy "expert" called Professor Jane Edwards on the Limerick radio station, live 95FM, who has just said in the last few minutes that heavy metal fans get confused when forced to listen to classical music because they cannot understand it.

Glad to see there are experts like her involved in music. Funnily enough the station is not taking any calls on it :rolleyes:

Better throw out all my classical CDs as I must not be able to enjoy them. Wonder should I dump my jazz stuff too as I am just a simple metal fan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Whereas R&B fans get Shostakovich right away, its amazing!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Where does symphonic metal fit in :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

People must have aneurysms while listening to 'tallica's S&M!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I like both of it, why not? Classical music can be as intense as Heavy Metal.

And loads of bands, especially in the Black Metal Genre use classic tunes as intros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Kess73 wrote: »
    Glad to see there are experts like her involved in music. Funnily enough the station is not taking any calls on it :rolleyes:

They're trolling us cause they know we can't respond!

But yeah this kind of sh*t pisses me off to no end. Sweeping generalisations. And it's funny because I would consider metal fans to be more appreciative of classical than the general public. I think metal fans appreciate people who can play their instruments well and have a greater affinity for moving,intricate music no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

There is a music therapy "expert" called Professor Jane Edwards on the Limerick radio station, live 95FM, who has just said in the last few minutes that heavy metal fans get confused when forced to listen to classical music because they cannot understand it.

I wonder what she'd make of my having been in an orchestra for over a decade and playing classical music (Violin, and then Viola) since I was six. I hope her head explodes trying to process that one ...

But what would I know? I'm confused right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I get mad confused when I listen to Dying Fetus and then put on some Ludovico Einaudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

2002-sept-al-murray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I think it can be paired with this genius:

Heavy metal music has negative impacts on youth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Limerick music therapy "expert" ? Did she have a horse outside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Limerick music therapy "expert" ? Did she have a horse outside?

I think you mean Australian music therapy expert, Michael old boy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

darconio wrote: »
    I think it can be paired with this genius:

Heavy metal music has negative impacts on youth

Well she is from the same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

That is such bullsh*t. Will that stereotype ever be forgotten? Just listening to Jason Becker as I read this thread, sure Professor, believe what you want :pac:.

Actually, I wonder what this guy would think about metal music if he was around today.

[sarcasm]While I mention Jason Becker, he must have been extremely confused when he composed this. He was only a metal musician after all. [/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

I know very little about classical music, indeed some of it certainly does confuse me, and I'm by no means an expert on metal but if I know one thing its that this ROCKS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Ahah... The old cliche...

I'd be curious to have her insight into Meshuggah rhytmic "research". Sure she'd understand its simplicity, right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Better throw out all my classical CDs as I must not be able to enjoy them. Wonder should I dump my jazz stuff too as I am just a simple metal fan?

Who told her that heavy metal fans get confused?
    Metal music is based on classical music, please keep enjoying it and you better stop listening to strange radio stations.
    That's what I said although I'm not Professor of Music Therapy. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Apocalyptica must be confused beyond recognition

Oh no, the daily mail is on our side :P.

A couple of interesting quotes from the article which mentions a number of genres.
    Psychologists have found that classical aficionados share virtually identical personality traits with 'metalheads'

It mentions that while metal heads tend to be introverted, they are both creative and at ease with themselves - which nicely contradicts the link posted by darconio. Of course this is still a generalisation and not necessarily true for everyone. I don't know what the professor mentioned in the OP is basing her view on, but at least this is based on actual research.
    Almost all music fans were rated as creative with three notable exceptions - lovers of easy listening, disco and chart pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Well, I don't know about the rest of ye, but this is how I kinda feel when I hear classical music:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Apocalyptica. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Me. Confused. Never....

These professors need to spend less time in each other's arses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I get mad confused when I listen to Dying Fetus and then put on some Ludovico Einaudi.

Pffft, minimalism.

/musicsnobbery :P

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    [sarcasm]While I mention Jason Becker, he must have been extremely confused when he composed this. He was only a metal musician after all. [/sarcasm]

That's... terrible. I'm aware that it's just a poor quality MIDI orchestra, but it's just not very good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 metalover

I kinda like some classical stuff. But I still and will always prefer Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

I am confused by Classical music because I never know if people mean music from the Classical period or do they use it, as many do, as an umbrella term for all music from the Common Practice period? Anyway, what she says just smacks of elitism and that's something I will not stand for. Also smacks of ignorance. Just give her one of those herbal chocolate substitute bars she enjoys so much to keep her mouth busy, and move on.

As the sassy disco chick Christine in Detroit Rock City says, "Good tunes is good tunes."

Speaking of total ignorance against metal, it's perceived effects and the other ills that accompany it (DRUGS! BOOZE! SEX! SATAN!), was anybody forced, like I was, to sit through this little chestnut in religion class?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I like The Enid, how does that fit in?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Well its pretty obvious that when she listens to metal she dosent understand or appreciate it and thats fine, i have no problem with that, but to suggest that classical music is superior in some way to metal music is just naive on her part.

No music genre is better or worse than another, its all about preference. I think this pompous narcisist needs to broaden her mind a little if she wants to be taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Had my sister recently claim to be a fan of classical just to round off her eclecticism via facade of 'good taste', and she knows nothing of musical technicalities just the away with the birds factor, Sounds soothIng then fair enough chill out to that. But personally I probs have more justified respect for it despite hating it, I have seen them at work. Albeit fleetingly

Advertisement