Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva car insurance question - floods (Urgent)

Options
  • 27-10-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me out with a small issue i have.

My car was caught in the floods on Monday and has been assessed as wrote off. I was originally told when i asked that i could get a courtsey car for 7 days as i am fully comprehensive.

I cannot find my policy book.

Now i have called the claims handler and he is saying that i am not entitled to one as it was "flood damage".

I can't understand this. Is it right?

I am currently 41 weeks pregnant and badly need a car for the next week as this is the only car in the household.

Does anyone have a policy book where this "exclusion" is quoted.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Ask the insurer to email you the T&Cs.
    You can rent a car for 7 days for pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Ask the insurer to email you the T&Cs.
    You can rent a car for 7 days for pretty cheap.

Thanks. They have offered 24.99 per day towards 10 days car hire for me.
    I assumed car hire was much more expensive and this should cover us.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

collegeme wrote: »
    Thanks. They have offered 24.99 per day towards 10 days car hire for me.
    I assumed car hire was much more expensive and this should cover us.

Works out at about €35 per day for 10 days from here:
    http://www.budget.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Try carhire3000.ie

I use them abroad, don't know what their prices are like at short notice though.

Well a bit of a disaster really!! I booked a hire car to pick up from Dublin Airport through arguscarhire.ie and found that i had to pick it up from Europa car hire.

The total cost was 278e for 10 days and i thought this was fine. But when i arrived to pick the car up i was told i had to pay the fuel (fair enough) and also 170e for full cover insurance.

I explained that i have my own fully comprehensive insurance but Europa insisted that as i booked with a "tourist site" third party i had no option of using my own insurance. They said had i booked directly with them i could have used my own fully comp. insurance. I was stranded in the airport and had no option but to pay the 170e as i had no way home....i feel hard done by. Is there anything i can do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Could you cancel the car and rebook ? I used to use arguscarhire while abroad but I had many disasters with them and stopped using them.

broker2008 wrote: »
    Could you cancel the car and rebook ? I used to use arguscarhire while abroad but I had many disasters with them and stopped using them.

I've had war on the phone with them. They just keep quoting the terms and conditions of "no refund". :mad:

Europcar were more than happy to refund 9 days insurance and the fuel that ii paid for if i dropped the car back tomorrow. However, arguscarhire said i could cancel and drop the car back but they wouldn't refund me a penny.

I can see why you stopped using them....very sneaky t&cs and no going back.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I feel sorry for you but I could write a book (well a couple of pages anyhow)but I ain't going into detail on a website about argushire. Not sure if Aviva would let you cancel your policy for 10 days or not to offset cost. Look on the bright side, new car coming or newish?

Advertisement