Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd c section.

Options
  • 26-10-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi. i have a question about c section. Had my 1st baby 3 years ago by emergency c section in Portlaoise as a public patient. My second baby is due on end of February, going as public patient.. i would really like to have elective c sections, so i would like to know what are my chances of getting one and would i have to pay for it?? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi there, I'm having my 3rd c section in Jan. First as baby was breech, 2nd as baby had problems, and labour would have put too much strain on her. I never had to pay as of yet anyway. Not 100% sure if you can request a section, if there is no medical need for it. Maybe someone else will have a better idea of that. I was told second time around that I would have been OK to give birth naturally ( which is what I would have preferred, tbh), only that it posed a risk to the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It depends on your doctor, on the reasons for the first c-section, on your general health, on how the pregnancy progresses etc. C-section rates in Ireland are high by international standards although there is a move towards 'renaturalising' birth even where a previous birth was by c-section. It really depends on your circumstances and the doctor you meet.

As for paying, if you go public, you will have no medical fees regardless of how you give birth. Going private incurs fees of over €3k, regardless of how you give birth. I don't know if you are more likely to be able to request a section as a private patient.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you previously had a section, many doctors will be sympathetic to you having a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

I think alot of doctors would like to see the rates of natural delieveries increase. My wife just gave birth to our 3rd child by C-section. It has to be remembered that a section is major surgery requiring far longer recovery and has its own serious risks associated (my wife required blood transfusions following 2 emergency sections).

Natural delivery is the best from mums point of view...but always listen to your doctors advice..thats what theyre there for!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

interesting article, uk seem to be going down the route of who wants one gets one....

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/women-could-c-section-060307707.html

Advertisement