Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1966 Presidential Election - & DeValera almost lost it

Options
  • 26-10-2011 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

In 1966 , Ireland was celebrating the 50th Anniversary of 1916 .

Contesting the presidency were DeValera & Tom O'Higgins jnr and with an Electorate off 1.1 million DeValera scraped in with 50.48% of the vote.

http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=1966P&cons=194

10,000 Voters seperated the candidates and while the spoiled votes would not have gotten O'Hggins Elected , it would have been close.

So what happened ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

CDfm wrote: »
    In 1966 , Ireland was celebrating the 50th Anniversary of 1916 .

Contesting the presidency were DeValera & Tom O'Higgins jnr and with an Electorate off 1.1 million DeValera scraped in with 50.48% of the vote.

http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=1966P&cons=194

10,000 Voters seperated the candidates and while the spoiled votes would not have gotten O'Hggins Elected , it would have been close.

So what happened ?

What happened? A certain C. Haughy raised the price of milk paid to farmers the week of the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    What happened? A certain C. Haughy raised the price of milk paid to farmers the week of the election.

Very patrioric of Charley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

There was a piece on radio about this. I think the blame was largely put on Haughey for his management of the campaign as well as a fresher approach by Higgins. The election of 1959 had'nt been a whitewash for DeValera either as he had got 56%.

Higgins poster>
    ohiggins1.jpg

And De Valera seems to play the green card>
    dev66.jpg
    taken from http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/tag/1966-presidential-election/

McEoin the FG candidate in 1959 campaigned in Cork and my mother told me that he asked the Voters to vote No in a FF proposed constitutional amendment to abolish PR in favour of the Direct First past the post vote. And, that if they were making a party choice to prioritise the No vote over a Vote for him in the presidential election.

What was O'Higgins like and what type of provenance did he have.

DeValera was ancient and must have been blind in 1966 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

CDfm wrote: »

What was O'Higgins like and what type of provenance did he have.

I met him when I was quite young. He struck me as being aloof, not interested in small boys! Lived in Dalkey, his garden is now a housing estate. He was a son of Tom O’Higgins, founder of the Blueshirts, a brother of Michael O’H. a leader of the Seanad, a nephew of Kevin O’Higgins (assassinated 1927) and an old Clongonian. His (great?) grandfather was Tim Sullivan, a Nationalist journalist, MP, pro and anti Parnellite, Lord Mayor of Dublin and author of ‘God Save Ireland’. O’Sullivan’s son, also Tim, was a Chief Justice, who upheld the ruling on the 1940 Offenses Against the State Act, which brought in the Curragh internment during the ‘40s.
    As Chief Justice when signing pre-printed forms Tom O’H used to put a line through the ‘An t-Onorach’ and write underneath ‘The Hon.’ which always was noticeable.
    An anecdote once told to me by a FG friend - at his first presidential campaign team meeting he gave each team member a copy of a book on JFK’s presidential election (The Making of a President?) and told them to ‘learn that!’ I think Ritchie Ryan and John Kelly were the senior members of that campaign team.
    Rs
    P.

• Advertisement

Fascinating stuff pedro.

The FG class of '66 could make a decent thread.

Also, Labours presidential support would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

And De Valera seems to play the green card>
    dev66.jpg
    taken from http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/tag/1966-presidential-election/

That sure brought back memories - FF always used those colours. I can remember the General Election around the same time but previous to this - 1965? - had a similar green circle with orange and white rim and the words "Let Lemass Lead On" written inside the circle.

So I suppose if it worked for Lemass...

Advertisement