Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty repair & small claims Legal advice

Options
  • 26-10-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm really not sure if this is the right place to come looking for any sort of legal advice. Its in relation to a small claim on a computer repair center repair.

The short story is I brought my ipod to get repaired, waited a month and a half and then got it back. The battery was dead so i took it home and of course the same problem was happening. I took it back 4 days later (they have a 6 month warranty) and they want to charge me another 40.

I'm just looking to see if i have a case to take to the small claims court or get peoples general opinion on this.

Long version:
    I brought my Ipod2 to be repaired in a local repair shop in Tallaght. This is back in the second week of September. It had 2 issues, one was the backlight not working, the other was the touch screen not responding (Cut ribbon cable). Their solution was to replace the touchscreen.

I got it back on the friday with an empty battery. I took it home, charged it up and while the touchscreen was now working, the backlight is not so i cannot see.

I went back over today and explained the situation. The clerk told me that I could pay 40 euro to get another screen despite already paying 70 euro for "a touchscreen"

Needless to say i wasn't happy about this. I got angry and said that I wasn't paying any more money. He stood by the fact that the light was working fine when he was using it and that it was my fault.

He also made no mention of the 6 month warranty that i was given when i picked it up on friday. I didn't mention it as i forgot about it at the time.

I said in exact words: "i know this isn't what you want to hear but theres no way I am paying any more to have thid repaired. I've waited a month and a half to have this repaired and its still broken. I'll take this as far as i need to to get this sorted".

He stood by his claim that it wasn't his fault and that I could take it wherever I wanted.

I'm still pretty grilled about this and am seriously considering taking it to the small claims court. I'm unsure about it though and just wanted to get a feeling from people as to whether it was worth my time or if i had a case at all?

Also if I do go ahead, Is it worth my time getting legal advice or issuing a letter of complaint to him first and seeing how he responds?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 OxiMoron

I'm guessing The ipod in question is an Ipod touch 4th gen? correct?
    That's the only screen i can imagine that would cost that much.
    You should advise him that his policy is 6 months warranty. He should honour that unless it is blatantly obvious that you have damaged the ipod again since it was repaired. Was the original damage caused by a drop or by water?

If you get nowhere with him. Then PM me or send me an email at ipod-rescue.com I might be able to sort you out. I have a few 2nd hand screens lying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You should certainly remind him that he has provided you with a 6 month warranty.

Before considering small claims court, I suggest you have a thorough read of all of the information at this link.

My personal view is that once you have read the warranty that you were provided and you are satisfied that this type of situation is covered by the warranty and, furthermore, the shop owner is still unwilling to honour this warranty then you should consider the small claims process.
    I wouldn't bother with legal advice over €40 to be completely honest. Small claims is relatively straight forward process if you do your homework and follow the instructions at the linked site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

OxiMoron wrote: »
    I'm guessing The ipod in question is an Ipod touch 4th gen? correct?
    That's the only screen i can imagine that would cost that much.
    You should advise him that his policy is 6 months warranty. He should honour that unless it is blatantly obvious that you have damaged the ipod again since it was repaired. Was the original damage caused by a drop or by water?

If you get nowhere with him. Then PM me or send me an email at ipod-rescue.com I might be able to sort you out. I have a few 2nd hand screens lying about.

Actually it was a second gen ipod.

And im not sure what the original damage was caused by. This ribbon cable was cut by myself but the light going faulty, i have no diea. I never did find what happened to it and its still broken.

He had no interest in honoring his warranty. I didnt break it myself. I simply got it back and it wasn't working. I found it suspicious enough that it was powered off when i got it but Its pretty obvious to me at least that it was never fixed.

This is all speculation and i could be completely wrong but I imagine he changed out the screen (which wasn't neccessary. All it needed was the ribbon cable) and found that the screen was responding again but the light wasn't working. Then realized it would cost more than 70 euro and tried to pass off the extra cost on me.

I wrote a letter of complaint saying clearly what happened and im just waiting to see how he responds. Not much else I can do.

Advertisement