Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming and Scuba

Options
  • 26-10-2011 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey,
    Probably a stupid question but do you have to be able to swim to do an open water certificate.
    I can survive for a while in water and have no fear of it but can't swim bar a good doggy paddle or thread.
    I want to do a course but do I need to swim lessons first.
    Please advise, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

Yes, you need to be a reasonably good swimmer. Not fast or with expert technique, just comfortable in the water and capable of swimming short distances.

PADI require a 200 metre swim (or 300 metres with snorkel gear) and a 10 minute float/thread water to get the Open Water cert.

CMAS require something similar for the N1, including a tow whilst giving EAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

crazydaize wrote: »
    Yes, you need to be a reasonably good swimmer. Not fast or with expert technique, just comfortable in the water and capable of swimming short distances.

PADI require a 200 metre swim (or 300 metres with snorkel gear) and a 10 minute float/thread water to get the Open Water cert.

CMAS require something similar for the N1, including a tow whilst giving EAR.
    Sickener, better get rolling on swimming so.
    Thank you kindly

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

its easy done just build it up daily not even 10 lenths of your pool and remember its for your own good to get out of a pickle somtime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hey,
    Probably a stupid question but do you have to be able to swim to do an open water certificate.
    I can survive for a while in water and have no fear of it but can't swim bar a good doggy paddle or thread.
    I want to do a course but do I need to swim lessons first.
    Please advise, thank you

As has been mentioned, you need to do 200m non-stop to get your PADI Open Water. There's no time limit, so you can doggy paddle it if you want.

While you're actually diving, the actual skill of 'swimming' isn't really required.
    'Swimming' to me means 'propelling yourself through the water while positioning yourself in a manner that allows you to breathe, without using any equipment to aid buoyancy or breathing'.
    While you're diving, you will have a buoyancy control device, and 2 different apparatuses (apparati?) to help you breathe, namely your SCUBA and your snorkel.

Although swimming is a useful skill to have, and might help save your life if the **** goes down, it's not really necessary as long as everything's going well.

More important, in my opinion, is simply being comfortable in the water. Granted, those who can swim are more likely to be comfortable in the water than those who can't (& vice versa), but I believe my point stands.

Do the doggy paddle as you get your license. Then continue to dive. As you get more training/experience, you will become more comfortable in the water. As you become more comfortable, swimming will come easier to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Don't fret as you will essentially be wearing a lifejacket in the form of a BCD. You will also be wearing fins that will greatly aid your swim.

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Don't fret as you will essentially be wearing a lifejacket in the form of a BCD. You will also be wearing fins that will greatly aid your swim.
    Again stupid question is that during the swim at the start?

There is a basic waterskills test that is a pre-requisite to a centre/club allowing you on the Open Water course.

The swims must be done without any aids (before you ever touch a piece of scuba equipment).

no such thing!

There is a basic waterskills test that is a pre-requisite to a centre/club allowing you on the Open Water course.

The swims must be done without any aids (before you ever touch a piece of scuba equipment).
    Thank you

No there isn't!
    What's your source for that information?

• Advertisement

No there isn't!
    What's your source for that information?

The official PADI website

The fifth Q&A asks: What’s required to take scuba lessons?

.....Waterskills: Before completing the PADI Open Water Diver course, your instructor will have you demonstrate basic waterskill comfort by having you:

-Swim 200 metres/yards (or 300 metres/yards in mask, fins and snorkel). There is no time limit for this, and you may use any swimming strokes you want.

-Float and tread water for 10 minutes, again using any methods that you want.

About Physical Challenges: Any individual who can meet the performance requirements of the course qualifies for certification.

For the CMAS equivalent something very similar is stated on the very first page of the trainee diver book.

CFT require a 200 metre freestyle swim, a 50 metre back swim, and holding breath underwater for 30 seconds within 5 minutes of carrying out the 2 swims. Those three tasks are entry requirements for the trainee diver course. If the reality is different then that's up to your club, but these tasks are listed on the first page of their own book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

As a smoker the PADI 200m swim almost killed me. Was never so happy to float in the water for ten minutes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

For the CMAS equivalent something very similar is stated on the very first page of the trainee diver book.

CFT require a 200 metre freestyle swim, a 50 metre back swim, and holding breath underwater for 30 seconds within 5 minutes of carrying out the 2 swims. Those three tasks are entry requirements for the trainee diver course. If the reality is different then that's up to your club, but these tasks are listed on the first page of their own book.

CFT does require the above, not just at the beginning of the Trainee Diver course, but ANNUALLY as a fitness test for insurance purposes. The annual test also includes a length (25m) of the pool underwater (fins optional).
    The 50m backstroke is part of the 200m swim.

Seadeuce

.....Waterskills: Before completing the PADI Open Water Diver course, your instructor will have you demonstrate basic waterskill comfort ...
    (I bolded the relevant bit here)

That's what you have to do before you can COMPLETE the course, and agrees with what has been said already.
    You said you had to do a waterskills test before you could start the course.

(I bolded the relevant bit here)

That's what you have to do before you can COMPLETE the course, and agrees with what has been said already.
    You said you had to do a waterskills test before you could start the course.

locum-motion.... how is it relevant?

A PADI Open Water course teaches diving, not swimming. If you can't complete the course without passing the basic waterskills test then you should know how to swim before you start it. You're not going to pick up swimming along the way. I've never seen a course that hasn't established if the trainees could swim or not first. It's important for the instructors to know so they will always do swimming tests at the very beginning.

And CFT specifically state that it's a pre-requisite to do the trainee diver course.

Oh, FFS!
    Do I really have to play the "you said, I said" game?
    It appears I do:
    1. You posted some incorrect information (that the waterskills test was a PRE-requisite for the Open Water course.)
    2. I pulled you up on it and asked for your source.
    3. You came back with a source that specifically stated that the waterskills test was required before you could COMPLETE the course (not before you can START the course, which is what the word prerequisite means)
    4. I highlighted the word "complete" in your source.
    5. You asked why is it relevant.

It's relevant, my dear sir or madam, because it's the word that proves you were wrong.

Now, please: Let your next post be "Oh, I apologise. I was mistaken", because frankly you're running the risk of losing any credibility.

...And CFT specifically state that it's a pre-requisite to do the trainee diver course.

That may be true, I grant you. I wouldn't know. I know nothing about CFT training. But you said "Open Water course". Which was PADI, last time I looked.

Oh, FFS!
    Do I really have to play the "you said, I said" game?

No, I think the OP's question has been answered.

Thank you for having a digging match on my behalf gents. I think I'll just learn how to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I did the open water recently and before I was allowed to go near any peices of equipment I was required to do a 200m swim in the sea and 10 mins of treading water. Only then was I accepted for the course. I was a bit apprehensive, as I am very unfit but very comfortable in the water. If you are not a strong swimmer, the doggy paddle will drain you very quickly. I found back stroke was most relaxing and energy efficient, but switched to front crawl for the latter half when I discovered I had enough energy to complete it comfortably.

There was a girl there for the day who was padi certified and wanted to a dive. She hadn't dived in 5 months so they asked her to do a quick skills test and wouldn't let her on the boat because she was not comfortable in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Op I did my open-water a couple of years ago with a couple of other people and from my experience,the more comfortable in the water,the stronger the swimmer you are then diving will come easier and quicker to you.So op I would suggest you work hard on your swimming first an be totally at home and confident in the water before your start diving course.One crucial part of diving is being calm and relaxed at all times.Best of luck op.Diving is amazing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

OP its great you feel comfortable in the water, even though you feel you can't swim properly. That'll stand to you. But yes being able to swim if there is ever any kind of issues will do you good. While bad experiences don't happen often and are no reason not to keep learning to dive, the more comfort and confidence you have in the water, you'll be able to handle any crisis better.

I just had a minor crisis the other week, finning to a spot to dive. Not to mention its a spot I was familiar with & I've done a pretty good consistent number of dives this year. But I wasn't paying attention to where the current was pulling me. Anyway I had to fin way more than I could handle, by the time I got to the spot, I was knackered.

But don't worry as a beginner the instructor always stays within an arms length:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bluefoam wrote: »
    There was a girl there for the day who was padi certified and wanted to a dive. She hadn't dived in 5 months so they asked her to do a quick skills test and wouldn't let her on the boat because she was not comfortable in the water.

5 months is a bit harsh. It is normally a year but I assume they had their own reasons for questioning her. If that was the case I would need to do a skills test after every winter. Good to hear that the dive centres are being responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Bluefoam wrote: »

This type of stuff makes me happy....I'm glad dive centres are being responsible! A 2 day course in Thailand means you are a qualified and capable diver on paper not necessarily applicable in the cold blue sea!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    5 months is a bit harsh. It is normally a year but I assume they had their own reasons for questioning her. If that was the case I would need to do a skills test after every winter. Good to hear that the dive centres are being responsible

For PADI, a Scuba Review is required if a diver hasn't dived for SIX MONTHS, not a year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For PADI, a Scuba Review is required if a diver hasn't dived for SIX MONTHS, not a year.

6 months? Really? Very few if any dive centres would enforce this or even ask

Advertisement