Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Births

Options
  • 25-10-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, we are 26 weeks gone and opting for a home birth using Hypnobirthing techniques. It is our first.

Anyone else tried this? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I was not able to do a home birth b/c the nearest independent midwife was over 1.5 hrs away, but I wanted to do one.

My immediate suggestion to you, if you haven't already done it, is find your midwife. There aren't many of them and depending where you're located it may determine whether or not a home birth is even possible. I can't remember the website where they're registered (maybe another poster can help?) but if you google homebirth midwives in ireland you'll come up with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sorry I should state, I am in the UK (ex pat here) and the NHS midwifes have been very supportive of the idea (thought they would not)

We had it pointed out to us that labor and giving birth is NOT a medical emergency and there is no reason to be in hospital unless some medical intervention is/will be needed. They had a bit of a cut off the Irish scene in that it is like the USA very sterile and medical with the immediate reaction to go into hospital and hook up to machines and pain killers. It's only in the past 40 years or so that going to hospital for birth went from being the exception to being the norm.

Women/couples have been lead to believe that childbirth is a traumatic painful medical experience and when nothing could be further from the truth.

Hospitals are dirty and for sick people. Not a place for expectant mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I agree that birthing is (most often) a very normal and natural process and most likely will go perfectly with no medical interventions necessary. I hope you have the experience you're going after - giving birth can really be the most wonderful experience!

If you haven't already come upon it, I would highly recommend reading "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin. She's a godsend to home birthing families and hers was the only book I read in preparation for the birth of both of my girls. It was surely the only book I've heard of that actually celebrates what birthing can be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

My honest opinion is home births should be more of an option for people. All my hospital experiences have been pretty awful. Not the giving birth but the discomfort of not being at home and in a ward full of screaming babies when all you want to do is rest. At home, I would imagine, would be more peaceful, you can have a cup of tea whenever you want after and have all the comforts of home. In saying all this though I wouldn't encourage any first time mothers to do it. The reason being after you have had your first you know what your in for and if anything goes wrong your in the right place. If you have had one and the birth went pretty much according to plan then I think it would be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'd also love a homebirth but where we live rules it out, so hospital all the way for us :(.

Major recommendation for hypnobirthing though, I used the Gentlebirth program (needed an Irish accent on the CDs!) and loved it, using it this time round again. I used it in combination with gas and air last time, we'll see how we go this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm not pregnant, but I'm working on it really hard :D

When... I get knocked up I'm going to opt for a home birth. I think there is an independent midwife near me but I'm unsure if she's still working. When I get the positive on the test I'll make calls & book someone. There's two I know of that have delivered first & subsequent babies for at least three of my friends so I'd like to go with her.

Then I'll contact the HSE re the homebirth grant. I'd rang them ages ago to find out what exactly they need, it seems to be just the name of the midwife and your due date, then they send you out the pack and it's up to the midwife to fill out the paperwork so she can get paid... me thinks. It covers up to 2400 of fees etc.

My sis lives in UK and had a homebirth with the NHS midwives & she did it in a birthing pool. She really loved the birth and had two midwives with her at all times. I really wish this system was more available across Ireland, not just with Domino schemes, some of us live a bit outside Dublin!

I'm going to leave it up to my homebirth midwife to decide if I need a transfer to hospital and we'll have ambulance on notification the day I go into labour, it's 30 mins to nearest hospital with not much traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nearlythereacca

I am planning a home birth next year. People have said Im really brave to go with this option but to be honest I would be more afraid of a hospital birth so I dont feel like its a 'brave' decision but a decision that puts me more in control. I would like to avoid the 'managed' approach to birth most hospitals have.

I also would second the recommendation for Ina May Gaskins book. It is a truly amazing read and really gives you the confidence that your body can do the necessary to deliver your baby without all the intervention! Michael Odent is also great for reference to natural childbirth.

Advertisement