Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First antenatal appointment !!!???

Options
  • 25-10-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey,
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever been to the clinic in Bray?? I'v got the date for my first antenatal appointment there cause Holles St referred me as its closer to where I live & don't know what to expect...I know medical history, weight etc etc get covered but will I get a scan?? My boyfriend doesn't want to miss out on anything but I don't see the point of him missing a days work if I'm not going to get a scan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, congrats!
    The usually give you a quick scan at your fdirst appointment, its just to confirm the dates of the pregnancy really and check heartbeat, as at this early stage (first appointments are usually btween 10-12 weeks) not alot of info can be gained from a scan. So they wont really be pointing out everythhing etc. And tbh theres not really alot to see, at this stage it kind of looks like a blob! The real detail happens at your big scan, which is around 20-24 weeks depending on the hospital.

As regards the rest of the appointment, they just take all your history and ask alot of questions, weigh you, measure you, feel your stomach, take a urine sample and usually a blood sample and your blood pressure.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Make sure you bring a urine sample so you don't have to do one there. You can get sample containers at any chemists. Also, in case you are having a scan, make sure you have a full bladder :)

Advertisement