Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agressive bikers a problem.

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I continually find that probably a majority or bikers i encounter on the road seem excessivly agressive in their behaviour. Often i will find myself doing say the speed limit or slightly below when i notice flashing/flickering in my RVM, then before i know it some man on a bike is practically in the boot of my car and as soon as they get a chance, they drop a gear and are gone past like a rocket. Often times they pass way too close oblivious to the dangers of oncoming traffic and blind turns.
    I have no problem with bikers on the whole but there really is no need for such aggressive and dangerous tactics.

At times, but very much the exception rather than the rule, i notice bikers who keep a safe distance and overtake safely without all the revs and the convulsive gear changing and I usually point out that thats unusual as most of the time they are maniacs.

Some of them really need to CTFO. A neighbour of mine is a particular culprit. hE HAS a history of dangerousness and one needs to be wary of him on the local roads. A speed demon, and once i came across him around a turn like totally on the wrong side. Big massive swerve back over then and lucky he didn't end up in the ditch and lose his OTHER leg. Thats right. he lost one some years back in a crash. Obviously learned nothing from it.

Now i was a bike enthusiast as while back but i just cannot understand why so many are so aggressive and dangerous. Why do they have little heed for their safety and that of others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I believe your on about the chap who lost his leg years ago when a bus ran over him and not from a crash on his bike.

There are a few arseholes out there on bikes and a few around in cars aswell. Not all of us are bad. If all they're doing is overtaking you then leave them off.
    Riding on wrong side of road just leave em off because if they are doing that then they will get sorted eventaully anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

seanybiker wrote: »
    I believe your on about the chap who lost his leg years ago when a bus ran over him and not from a crash on his bike.

this guy is a neighbour of mine from Tipperary. If its the same guy, "Drip" should sound familiar. But as AFAIK, it was a crash some years back.

It's just there seems to be a lot of bike men who are mad. But plenty cars are mad too.
    One particular guy who does my head in is the fella in waterford with an orange/black enduro or offroadish type bike that is exceptionally loud. He's alwasy flying it and weaving in and out going over the Rice bridge and up the ferrybank DCW. The exhaust is deafeningly loud and his style is very very agressive. Is there some law that regulates the noise from an exhasut, cos if there is it is not being enforced. There should be some MOT for bikes to at least reduce the prevalence of machine gun exhausts or else on the spot fines for noise makers.

If all they're doing is overtaking you then leave them off.

its the manner and dangerous way the overtaking is taking polace that angers me. No regard for saftety at all.

I have been given a good few vile gestures too. where do these jerks get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭amacca

its the manner and dangerous way the overtaking is taking polace that angers me. No regard for safety at all.

As a person who spends quite a lot of time on the road on bikes and much more time on the road in a car/jeep I have to say I very rarely encounter behaviour like that (there will always of course be arseholes, 80-20 rule I suppose)

The only thing I can say when I'm on the bike is that I do drop a gear before overtaking to make sure I have a bit in reserve and I'm able to clear the car should they decide to speed up etc......not to be aggressive or frighten/intimidate etc....and I do cruise up behind the car etc before overtaking (again not in an aggressive manner and with a nice gap left between myself and the car in front - should the do something unexpected)

I'm surprised that in your experience you say the majority of bikers you encounter behave threateningly or aggressively because it genuinely isn't mine.

would your judgement or perception of what is taking place be perhaps a little off or are you living in a biker joyrider hotspot or something?

+ how is that one legged biker still riding?.....does he have a prosthetic that can operate either the rear brake or the gear change...or has he just decided he will make do without a rear brake or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

its the manner and dangerous way the overtaking is taking polace that angers me. No regard for saftety at all.

Thats what im saying though, if they're driving dangerously then it will be them who suffer, hopefully not with an innocent bystander being involved.

If they are giving rude gestures just do the same back to them or roll down the window and tell them to go fook themselves.

Im sure you probably seen that courier around town, he's a fooking disaster on the bike and I have no idea how the prick is still alive to be honest. He shouldnt be allowed on the road at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

One particular guy who does my head in is the fella in waterford with an orange/black enduro or offroadish type bike that is exceptionally loud. He's alwasy flying it and weaving in and out going over the Rice bridge and up the ferrybank DCW. The exhaust is deafeningly loud and his style is very very agressive. Is there some law that regulates the noise from an exhasut, cos if there is it is not being enforced. There should be some MOT for bikes to at least reduce the prevalence of machine gun exhausts or else on the spot fines for noise makers.

Those KTM's come like that at stock. Not much you can do.

I've gotten vile gestures from Cars, trucks, buses, motorbikes and cyclists. They get off because they can, the law is on their side. The bigger man is the one that doesn't have to resort to insults to make his point.
    I continually find that probably a majority or bikers i encounter on the road seem excessivly agressive in their behaviour. Often i will find myself doing say the speed limit or slightly below when i notice flashing/flickering in my RVM, then before i know it some man on a bike is practically in the boot of my car and as soon as they get a chance, they drop a gear and are gone past like a rocket. Often times they pass way too close oblivious to the dangers of oncoming traffic and blind turns.

I don't pay much attention to my speed. I travel at a speed appropriate to the conditions. Sometimes this means I am over it. Other times I am far under it. But I have become very wary of the must keep the needle on the speed limit people. Your attention is diverted away from assessing possible danger and placed onto maintaining a imaginary safe speed defined by a generic road number.

As for overtaking on a bike. While illegal to overtake on white lines, the lines themselves are placed with the lowest common denominator in mind. If I can complete a overtake in under 2 seconds on a straight clear road with no junctions or obscured driveways with a continuous white line, I will. And in the past I have had many a flash from the shocked driver.

Dropping a gear is normal for any overtake, car or bike. Although a healthy distance should be maintained before hand, followed by acceleration, mirrors, manoeuvre, overtake, manoeuvre, decelerate.
    I have no problem with bikers on the whole but there really is no need for such aggressive and dangerous tactics.

My girlfriend thinks any more then the slightest touch of the accelerator is aggressive. Its a subjective topic.
    At times, but very much the exception rather than the rule, i notice bikers who keep a safe distance and overtake safely without all the revs and the convulsive gear changing and I usually point out that thats unusual as most of the time they are maniacs.

If they overtook without changing a gear and accelerating hard, they are not good drivers.
    Some of them really need to CTFO. A neighbour of mine is a particular culprit. hE HAS a history of dangerousness and one needs to be wary of him on the local roads. A speed demon, and once i came across him around a turn like totally on the wrong side. Big massive swerve back over then and lucky he didn't end up in the ditch and lose his OTHER leg. Thats right. he lost one some years back in a crash. Obviously learned nothing from it.

I think we have found who you are really ranting about. Bad bike drivers are great, unlike car drivers they tend to remove themselves as a problem much quicker. And even better, most of the time its a single vehicle accident.
    Now i was a bike enthusiast as while back but i just cannot understand why so many are so aggressive and dangerous. Why do they have little heed for their safety and that of others.

I think you have hit middle age. Everything starts to get faster and all you want is for it to slow down. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

amacca wrote: »
    + how is that one legged biker still riding?.....does he have a prosthetic that can operate either the rear brake or the gear change...or has he just decided he will make do without a rear brake or something?

He does have a prosthesis, whether it is capable of operating the back brake or not i don't know. It must be the brake side, as i can't see how it could be good enough to work the gear shift.

Just relying on the front brake does seem plausible though.
    Im sure you probably seen that courier around town, he's a fooking disaster on the bike and I have no idea how the prick is still alive to be honest. He shouldnt be allowed on the road at all.
    is that the orange/black KTM guy. Haven't seen it in a while now though. Whoever it is he acts like a proper prat.
    don't pay much attention to my speed. I travel at a speed appropriate to the conditions. Sometimes this means I am over it. Other times I am far under it. But I have become very wary of the must keep the needle on the speed limit people. Your attention is diverted away from assessing possible danger and placed onto maintaining a imaginary safe speed defined by a generic road number.

i just using the limit as a guide for the purpose of this thread. Similar to you I rely on judgement of the conditions and common sense when deciding what speed to drive. I would generally consider myself a gentle driver - i rarely go over 90kph and not into the whole redline thing. 3000rpm is enough for me.
    Dropping a gear is normal for any overtake, car or bike. Although a healthy distance should be maintained before hand, followed by acceleration, mirrors, manoeuvre, overtake, manoeuvre, decelerate.

dropping a gear is usually neccesary bike or car or whatever. Its just some of them go over the top and redline the engine enough to almost launch themselves into low earth orbit. that sort of thing really is not needed to overtake.
    I think you have hit middle age. Everything starts to get faster and all you want is for it to slow down. Not going to happen I'm afraid.
    is 25 now considered middle age? well then i fooked

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431771

Actually after reading both this thread and the one above you are either a troll or a incompetent driver with some very skewed priority's.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431771

Actually after reading both this thread and the one above you are either a troll or a incompetent driver with some very skewed priority's.

how does this make my priorities skewed?
    Giving out about something doesn't make one a troll automatically.

how does this make my priorities skewed?
    Giving out about something doesn't make one a troll automatically.

You have a huge issue with Cyclists in your way and a huge issue with motorcyclists going past you. If more Irish people actually had a car that could overtake I'm sure we would see a thread about that too. And tbh, I haven't checked but I don't think I would be surprised to see a post about tractors at some stage too. Let me break it down for you.

ITS NOT YOUR ROAD.

If you can grasp that in a meaningful way you might stand a chance of a more relaxed drive and life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

OP

I think you are having a bad day.

Sorry, but I am not going to entertain you.

This thread is going the same way as the one in the motors forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement