Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private to commercial

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

hey guys,
    Have a private policy with Axa but put it on hold back in May as had to get rid of my car.
    I am buying a van soon and hoping to get commercial insurance.Since I have the balance paid in full for private policy is it possible to transfer that to the new commerical policy for my van?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

best of my knowledge the only company that allows you to to change like that on the the one policy is Setanta. You will have to set up a new policy and cancel the old. You can obviously stay with AXA and it could be easier but not necessarily the cheapest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

Ok thanks,would I get my money from the policy i have on hold??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Ok thanks,would I get my money from the policy i have on hold??
    You should do, if it was officially suspended having returned the cert and disc to insurers. The policy would now be treated as a cancellation from the original suspension date, though some policies may deduct a cancellation charge from your return

tried to get the van insured privately but not allowed.

is there much difference in price from private and commercial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

tried to get the van insured privately but not allowed.

is there much difference in price from private and commercial?

This should be nonsense. After the Motor Tax people started enforcing their existing policies on commercial vehicles it was VEHEMENTLY pointed out to me that insurance did not matter ~ I, of course, said it did.

Things change constantly, your commercial policy will generally be more expensive, will not have all the cover options and may not have comprehensive cover and may require additional addons for load and cargo insurance and so on and on and may only be available to FLEET operators * watch that one ~ you think you've a certain cover, like having you door busted open and your tools stolen only to find it's a FLEET only option ~ despite the guy at the desk telling you otherwise.

Basically consider commercial insurance the minimum required by law.

I would urge you to seek professional assistance ~ where applicable, a person driving a Fiesta Van privately against a person driving a commercial Fiesta Van , will have vastly more cover at roughly half the price from a five year no claims position.

• Advertisement

rang axa customer service cannot insure kangoo privately rang my branch in mullingar was told kangoo can be insured privately??

what the fudge???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Some Kangoo's are modified with seats in the back like so

250px-Renault_Kangoo_front.JPG

Regular Kangoo's like so

2008-renault-kangoo-4.jpg

are vans and cannot be insured privately.

Its not rocket science in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Private and commercial are tax issues. With insurance, regardless of whether it's personal or business use you have to insurane a van on a commercial vehicle policy.

Advertisement