Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a busted hard-drive

Options
  • 25-10-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey guys,:)

My laptop fell around 2 ft and landed on it's side. Hard drive is making a not-so-pleasant beeping noise so brought it into Back2the Future on Georges St. Sound lads in there, had a look and said the HDD is fücked and would cost around €200 for a replacement and reinstall of windows 7.

Laptop is a Packard Bell- 2 yrs old so out of warranty http://www.reevoo.com/p/packard-bell-easynote-lj71-rb-025

1Tb (2x 500gb), 4Gb RAM. Grand for what I needed (except battery life sh:te) so wouldn't mind fixing it myself or getting it repaired. I say fixing it myself but really don't know where to start...

One of the two hard drives (the c drive) is gone, I basically only used one and had the second as a back-up in case this happened... Except I can't boot from the D drive because (as far as I can tell...) it has no OS installed (I just let windows do a backup/system image thing on it...)     

If I was to buy  a new 500gb SATA drive online is it just a case of unscrewing it and popping it in? Are all drives the same? Brands/dimensions/connections etc??

... This might be a silly question- is there a way to get widows 7 back? It came installed on my laptop so don't have a disc or anything...

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Brods wrote: »
    Hey guys,:)

My laptop fell around 2 ft and landed on it's side. Hard drive is making a not-so-pleasant beeping noise so brought it into Back2the Future on Georges St. Sound lads in there, had a look and said the HDD is fücked and would cost around €200 for a replacement and reinstall of windows 7.

Laptop is a Packard Bell- 2 yrs old so out of warranty http://www.reevoo.com/p/packard-bell-easynote-lj71-rb-025

1Tb (2x 500gb), 4Gb RAM. Grand for what I needed (except battery life sh:te) so wouldn't mind fixing it myself or getting it repaired. I say fixing it myself but really don't know where to start...

One of the two hard drives (the c drive) is gone, I basically only used one and had the second as a back-up in case this happened... Except I can't boot from the D drive because (as far as I can tell...) it has no OS installed (I just let windows do a backup/system image thing on it...)

If I was to buy a new 500gb SATA drive online is it just a case of unscrewing it and popping it in? Are all drives the same? Brands/dimensions/connections etc??

... This might be a silly question- is there a way to get widows 7 back? It came installed on my laptop so don't have a disc or anything...

Thanks for the help

ok if you buy any 2.5" SATA Drive it will work doesn't have to be the same brand...it'll just be the case of removing the old one and inserting the new one.. you can install windows 7 from USB or DVD...if it came pre installed you should have an OEM key on the bottom of the laptop. you will need this serial.. you can download an iso (disk image) of windows 7 at this website
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

either burn it to an DVD and install it that way or Put it on a USB min (8Gb i think) and put it that way. Which ever way you manage to install it you will need to enter the serial.. it may not work as it is still on the old HDD windows system you might have to ring Microsoft to get the license transferred over.
    if you need any more help in doing this pm me or post here and i'll give you advise on whatever trouble you have

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Thanks. What if the serial # sticker is half missing from the bottom of the laptop? Am I snookered? Might it be on the laptop box somewhere?

Advertisement