Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying SC2

Options
  • 25-10-2011 10:53am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been a fan of SC2 for about 6 months now I guess, mainly just watch all the event streams etc but I never had a pc capable of playing the game without restarting every few minutes due to overheating.

I'm buying an XPS 15 and taking the plunge so can anyone tell me where is the cheapest place to buy the game? Also, what is the release date for HOTS since I'll no doubt buy that when it comes out.

Cheers,

Dardoz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 D0Gma

Just under €40.00 in Gamestop. Cheapest I've seen it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Amazon have it for £34.35 with free shipping, works out as €39.50. Also if you order it through this referral link, teamliquid get a cut of the profits so you help E-Sports ;)

Are you sure you need a laptop btw? A custom desktop would be cheaper and a lot better for gaming.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Well I'm actually getting the laptop for dual purposes. I just started a part-time degree so I need it for that as well, hence why I'm getting a 15" and not a 17".

I'll probably grab it in gamestop for handiness sake.

Where do all the irish players hang out? irc? or is there an ingame chat channel or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

finally giving in to temptation dardoz :P

a fair few of us hang out in #starcraft.ie on quakenet, there's an ingame starcraft.ie chat channel too but it's not used all that much afaik

You can't beat Overclocker's for quality I got my gaming laptop there and I have had 0 problems with delivery or quality.

• Advertisement

Ye Funky, well I'm due to become a daddy in May, so if I don't do it now, I'll never do it.

I've kinda already got my laptop picked out:

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    Processor : Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz
    Hard Drive : 640GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
    15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768)
    Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card

I won't be paying VAT so will cost me €522. Pretty killer system for that price I think.

That's a sick build for the price even post tax would be nice, set the hard drive to RAID 0 and would possibly think of upgrading the battery to a 9cell but that's it. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

dardoz wrote: »
    I've kinda already got my laptop picked out:

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
    Processor : Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz
    Hard Drive : 640GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
    8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
    15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768)
    Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card

......... will cost me €522. Pretty killer system for that price I think.
    Thats great for the price, can I inquire as to where you are getting it?

I am in the market but want to stick to Toshiba (have had great luck with them) unfortunately the only ones with a decent Nvidia graphics card are >E800. That set up at that price would really tempt me away from Toshiba.

Even buying in the US (a mate goes back and forth very often) doesn't help me on price too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Why're you not paying VAT? o.o, student discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Why're you not paying VAT? o.o, student discount?

I'm assuming it will be used as a work laptop + reclaiming vat? :o otherwise, OP is a mafia boss...

• Advertisement

It is indeed a work laptop. That being said, it's a nothing right now as I was going to buy it from Dell Outlet today, but it's already been bought :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

D0Gma wrote: »
    You can't beat Overclocker's for quality I got my gaming laptop there and I have had 0 problems with delivery or quality.

The ****, I've been eyeballing that for some serious time now !

I bought this bad boy http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-210-OK&groupid=43&catid=2040&subcat=1444 last year for a little cheaper and the specs were last year, still running like a beast though I lvoe it

Ordered the laptop last night. The excitement is building...

Advertisement