Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Beers - 3rd December

Options
  • 25-10-2011 9:56am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NEW UPDATE: Right, the plans for Saturday night have been made:

We're heading to Meat Liquor in Marylebone (postcode W1G 0BA) for grub at 6:00 which should hopefully have us sitting down to eat by around 6:30.

With any luck that should mean we're heading towards the pub between 7:30 and 8:00. I've not been to many pubs around Marylebone so I've picked three that we can use as options on the basis that I know at least one of them is pretty decent:

The Gunmakers (postcode W1U 4AP) - looks alright, thought it may turn out to be full of soccer fans as there's a Manchester United match on that evening
    The Marylebone (postcode W1U 4RE) - looks nice, has cocktails, but might be busy and/or pricey
    The Dover Castle (postcode W1G 7EH) - a really nice little Sam Smith's pub, though if it's too busy we may have to head elsewhere.

Here's a Google Map starting at Meat Liquor and all three pubs on it in the order listed above.

If you're not meeting us for food, make sure you've got my number (and preferably that I also have yours so I know who to expect) and give me a call/text to find out where we are when you're on your way.
    Right, the last couple of Beers sessions have been nice and central for everyone, but it's time for a change.

November's a busy month for me, so I suggest Saturday the 26th.

I'm feeling somewhat lazy, so I say we hit Kilburn again. I reckon the Black Lion would be a good place to start (doesn't get too busy early on, good prices, they do decent grub if anyone's looking for grub) and we can head on to Powers, the North London Tavern or the Good Ship later on.

What say ye?

What date best suits you for Christmas Beers? 10 votes

Friday 2nd December
    0%
    Saturday 3rd December
    0%
    Friday 9th December
    70%
    FyshphilologosJack B. Badd83steBraziliaNZsilvervixen84Dr.Giggles 7 votes
    Saturday 10th December
    10%
    RichMc70 1 vote
    Other
    20%
    Scarinaebluedolphin 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Friday 9th December
    Count me in, the 26th is fine and those pubs are up the road from me so suits me perfectly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've never been to a boards beers but I'm considering this....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bill_lehane

I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my house that night (my wife is American), but I'll keep it in mind in case we break out after dinner. Sounds like fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Friday 9th December
    Fysh wrote: »
    Right, the last couple of Beers sessions have been nice and central for everyone, but it's time for a change.

November's a busy month for me, so I suggest Saturday the 26th.

I'm feeling somewhat lazy, so I say we hit Kilburn again. I reckon the Black Lion would be a good place to start (doesn't get too busy early on, good prices, they do decent grub if anyone's looking for grub) and we can head on to Powers, the North London Tavern or the Good Ship later on.

What say ye?
    Won't be able to be there that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Cant make the 26th :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Won't be able to make the 26th either, back in Ireland that weekend. Pity, as have missed the past few and was hoping to make this one :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Other
    Alas, I will be in Poland! Hopefully I'll be able to make the Christmas beers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Friday 9th December
    :( at this rate we may just want to delay the Nov one by a few weeks & have an early xmas beers...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

Friday 9th December
    Hey,

Ya I'm working that night till 11/ 12/ 1am (who knows) :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Friday 9th December
    Right, so it looks like almost nobody can make the end-of-November beers. It makes more sense to me to try and have an early Christmas Beers instead, on one of the first two weekends of December. I'll try and add a poll to make it easier, but let me know when you can make it for a December beers.

It'll probably need to be somewhere central, which may get interesting depending on the location, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Friday 9th December
    Either Saturday works for me. Fridays no good for me at all, especially in the run up to Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Friday 9th December
    Should be fine for either of those.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Friday 9th December
    I chose the 3rd as I've a panto on the 10th :D

I don't mind going on Fridays either though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Friday 9th December
    I chose the 3rd as I've a panto on the 10th :D

What panto are you going to?

Other
    I'm going to a Labyrinth party on the 3rd, so the 10th is better for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

Will probably be able to make the 10th but am heading out the night before with work so might not have recovered!! ( yes I know that's a weak excuse but since I hit the 30 mark two nights in a row is a killer!!!)

Friday 9th December
    What panto are you going to?

It's Dick Whittington with Dame Edna Everage down in Wimbledon. We get free tickets at work and I had a blast last year so can't wait for this one.

Since the panto is a kiddy affair, it should finish early evening (I can't remember) so I should be able to make beers on that date anyway (10th).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Other
    The 10th probably suits me best, but I might be able to make the 3rd - not entirely sure yet.

Regardless, may I be daring and suggest Meat Liquor for potential grub beforehand?

It's north of Oxford Street, between Bond Street/Oxford Circus tube stations, so I don't know if the plans for this beers to be in Kilburn are still in place, and obviously, if so, this location wouldn't really suit, so another time perhaps?

It's just opened, but it is the successor of The Meat Wagon (which was featured on the current 'Jamie Oliver's Great Britain' series a few weeks ago) and which was a resident pop-up kitchen at a local pub here in Peckham over the summer. From my experience, the burgers are sublime, possibly the best I've ever tasted, and great sides too (onion rings nom nom nom). Alas, the Meat Wagon finished its summer residency a few weeks ago, but Meat Liquor was the promised replacement. I am to believe that it holds the same good prices (it's about £5/6 for a burger, plus £2/3 per side) and great quality.

I swear I'm not on commission; their food is pretty darn good though.

Friday 9th December
    Oh tell the truth...they're paying you in burgers, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Other
    Oh tell the truth...they're paying you in burgers, aren't they?

I WISH! :(

If watching this doesn't make you salivate, you are a vegetarian!*

*PS For any veggies out there, they do some non-meat filled stuff, too. Their new menu at the restaurant has been expanded quite a bit, so I reckon they've broadened their selection of garden delights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

The 10th probably suits me best, but I might be able to make the 3rd - not entirely sure yet.

Regardless, may I be daring and suggest Meat Liquor for potential grub beforehand?

It's north of Oxford Street, between Bond Street/Oxford Circus tube stations, so I don't know if the plans for this beers to be in Kilburn are still in place, and obviously, if so, this location wouldn't really suit, so another time perhaps?

It's just opened, but it is the successor of The Meat Wagon (which was featured on the current 'Jamie Oliver's Great Britain' series a few weeks ago) and which was a resident pop-up kitchen at a local pub here in Peckham over the summer. From my experience, the burgers are sublime, possibly the best I've ever tasted, and great sides too (onion rings nom nom nom). Alas, the Meat Wagon finished its summer residency a few weeks ago, but Meat Liquor was the promised replacement. I am to believe that it holds the same good prices (it's about £5/6 for a burger, plus £2/3 per side) and great quality.

I swear I'm not on commission; their food is pretty darn good though.

Looks good. I was always meanin to head down to Meat Wagon to try out the burgers but never got around to it so I would be up for this.

On the topic of Burgers, Lucky Chip are supposed to be pretty good, very similar to Meat Wagon from the looks of it. The sell out of a van at Netil Market, near London Fields.

Friday 9th December
    Rightyho, the masses have spoken and decided upon the 3rd of December.

Meat Liquor shall be our place of nosh procurement for the evening, and we'll then move on to...somewhere. I've not decided yet; I'll have a look around and see where might be interesting.

Any suggestions?

Other
    Rightyho, the masses have spoken and decided upon the 3rd of December.

*shakes fist*

Friday 9th December
    I may not be able to go to this one after all :o

A couple of my friends are planning a visit and that weekend (3rd) is looking the likely choice. I would say we'd join ye but they want to go to see a show so we'll be out late for that.

Have fun though everyone :)

Friday 9th December
    I may not be able to go to this one after all :o

A couple of my friends are planning a visit and that weekend (3rd) is looking the likely choice. I would say we'd join ye but they want to go to see a show so we'll be out late for that.

Have fun though everyone :)

Other
    Ah here, why did Shirley's absence get a KHAAAAAN and mine didn't?!

Friday 9th December
    Fishie wrote: »
    Ah here, why did Shirley's absence get a KHAAAAAN and mine didn't?!

Yours was more a regrettable known quantity while Shirley's was a sudden (but inevitable) betrayal.

Friday 9th December
    Yours was more a regrettable known quantity while Shirley's was a sudden (but inevitable) betrayal.

[cough] bullsh*t artist [/cough]

Friday 9th December

Hrumph, you're off the quiz team :cool:

/joking :pac:

• Advertisement

Friday 9th December
    Hrumph, you're off the quiz team :cool:

/joking :pac:

Advertisement