Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7up on Ice

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Well its starting to get close to Christmas and theres nothing more festive then a bit of ice skating!

So does anyone have any info about 7up on Ice this year? Is it opening in the usual locations? I have tried to check the website but all i get is a blank page with a background picture.

Mainly would like to know if the RDS will be open for this as usual!?

While on the subject anyone have any funny past stories from ice skating? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I could barely stand up let alone move whilst everyone else wizzed around, where the **** did all these people learn how to ice skate?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Really haha i love ice skating! Its a pity it only comes around for a weeks of the year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ya it can be dangerous if you don't know what your doing. I injured my arse quite badly whilst skating in Thurles last year, couldn't sit down for a couple of weeks after it. My so called mates had a field day down in the pub laughing at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I could barely stand up let alone move whilst everyone else wizzed around, where the **** did all these people learn how to ice skate?

You just brought back up a memory for me :pac: ... and actually a realization :P

I remember going to it in smithfield in 2006. With my then girlfriend. Thought "yeah, i'd be grand on the ice" - i was crap :( utter crap. And also thought where in the hell did people learn?

I spent the whole time just walking along the railings of the edge of the rink ... but, people behind me where going "jesus, move faster dude!" like a whole line.
    I realize now, apart from how shi*ty i was .. alot of people were just as sh*t as me :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The 7up I can manage, but not on ice ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Do people really have that much trouble?

I know there are always a few people clinging to the barrier for dear life but everyone in the thread so far seems to be having problems with it haha :D

The only way to learn is by giving it a go and falling on your arse a few times :p

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

7up on Ice

Id prefer a brandy on the rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Handsum bazturd

This year its on in the grounds of IMMA, Royal hospital Kilmainham

http://7upwinterwonderland.ie/

Be warned though got stung by a clamper up there a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

throw in a vodka and im sold

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

it looks well savage this year, with the circus and market and stuff. the last one i went to either last year or the year before it was and it was BORING. it was like just ice-skating, but nothing else. so downhill from how it was when it started up so hopefully for this year.

i am so so at ice-skating. i only ever do it at the 7up thingy. so when i first go on i am kinda hugging the wall for a min til i get my feet then i am ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Many more locations outside the pale http://www.familyfun.ie/ice-skating/
    Should be good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I hate ice skating. Bloody hard when you're tall and useless on your legs. Although last year I did a pretty cool unintentional 360 degree spin. My gf is going to make me do it again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

well that's the thing - it's easier to keep your balance the faster you are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

7up on ice is being held in the royal hospital kilmainham this year from the 8th of december 2011 to the 8th of january 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I definitely am going to one of these and will bring my little cousin, I am proud to say I've only been to one in Italy on a school tour and could skate backwards the first time :D a hidden talent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

What happened to disney on ice ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I learned how to ice skate from roller blading as a kid. Sort of the same concept. Im pretty good at ice skating, but jesus christ does it hurt my feet. No matter what size boot I'm given, or where I ice skate, or how many layers of wooly socks I wear it hurts. Its extremely painful which takes the whole fun out of it. I dont want to ice skate anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

There was a rink in dundalk and people from dublin (myself included) would go to play ice hockey, or figure skating. Those christmas rinks are just a place to stretch our legs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

Dundrum on ice is open from the 2nd of november i think. it's real ice aswell i cant stand that poxy fake ice stuff. im on my way up to belfast now for a skate. theres a nhl size rink opening in santry next month dont think its open to the public though its for ice hockey figure skating and curling.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

That was me the first (only and last) time I tried it. Went with boyfriend and it was his first time too. He just took off skating while I held on for dear life to the barrier. He was really annoying telling me to leave go and I'd be fine. I just muttered "fcuking prick", took off skates and went to sulk and drink coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Spunge wrote: »
    What happened to disney on ice ??

Its still on in the Citywest im going with two of the kids on new years eve. Been the last 2 years with the eldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Done it up in the RDS whilst up in Dublin for the Young Scientist.
    First time ever ice-skating so I went in the little practice place at the side for about half an hour. It's so demoralizing watching children skating rings around you when you're stuck in the middle of the ice. Railings out of arms reach.
    After falling for the umteenth time, I decided I was good enough for big arena.
    First I done a few rings around it clutched onto the side.
    Then, in all my wisdom, thinking I was a pro at this stage, plus there were only 10 minutes or so left of my paid time, I decided to go for it.
    Smiling to myself thinking of it.
    There was a massive crowd of people clung to the side in front of me.
    I said to myself F*** this and went for it.
    Adreniline pumping through my veins as I got 3/4 strokes into it, I was doing it!
    Then...
    It felt like someone kicked my skate from under me as I flew forwards. Natural instinct was to try and keep myself upright so tried to grab onto someone. Luckily there was a crowd nearby. Clutched onto someone with one hand bringing them down, they held onto someone bringing them down and so continued this domino effect.
    Ten of us or so lay down trying to get back up.
    I fell on my chest and partially winded myself but still struggled to get up and away before people could figure out what happened.
    Seeing them all sprawled out of the ice, trying and failing to get up, had me in tears.
    Laughed all the way back to the hotel.
    Think it's in the RDS every year to make my post somewhat valid :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

used to ice marshell for years at rinks round the place...man the ass youd get... sadly now that ass is in the "kenny rogers"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

rollerblading of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

copeyhagen wrote: »
    rollerblading of course.

I could never master that either. I'd put them on, get somebody to give me a nudge to start me moving. Then my legs would proceed to go in opposite directions ending with me falling on my arse a few seconds later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i was good at rollerblading though i'm not quite as good at ice skating, and i didnt go last year

the 7up on ice one looks amazing!!! cant wait!
    going to try the dundrum one too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Was in Amsterdam last November and took this video of my friend. Only had to follow him for a minute, he was falling all over the place. Started to get a little cocky. Skip to 44 seconds to see the beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jin.ie

Hey,
    does anyone know if it's cheaper with your own skates?

Advertisement