Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin Beer?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Anybody know if there's anywhere in Ireland I can get my hands on some pumpkin beer at the moment?
    Or peanut-butter for that matter! Easy to get in the States, especially at this time of year, but I haven't seen any here.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You should get peanut butter in almost every supermarket.
    Pumpkin beer will prove tougher I'd imagine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sainsbury's usually have Wychwood Pumpking, which is one of the better pumpkin beers I've tried. But I've never seen one for sale down here. I think they're a bit of a gimmick, TBH. Like a lot of fruit, pumpkin ferments out almost completely and leaves very little behind. The spices are more important than the fruit, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    Sainsbury's usually have Wychwood Pumpking, which is one of the better pumpkin beers I've tried. But I've never seen one for sale down here. I think they're a bit of a gimmick, TBH. Like a lot of fruit, pumpkin ferments out almost completely and leaves very little behind. The spices are more important than the fruit, IMO.

I would love to try a pumpkin beer, River Horse always go on about how popular their pumpkin beer 'Hipp-o-Lantern' is, would you loose the pumpkin even if it was added in Secoundry?

Yep. Yeast doesn't know it's now doing secondary. Yeast just eats sugar.

CWI imports River Horse to Ireland. You could put a request in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yep. Yeast doesn't know it's now doing secondary. Yeast just eats sugar.

CWI imports River Horse to Ireland. You could put a request in.

I thought the boil is what mostly killed the flavour of adjuncts, and adding during secoundary would preserve alot of it? I wish my honey ale tasted less of honey, only 8 bottles left and other people like it.

Yeh, I saw River Horse was around again, I've had a bottle of Tripel Horse in my fridge for weeks, I'd be more likely to put a request in for Hop-Hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anybody know if there's anywhere in Ireland I can get my hands on some pumpkin beer at the moment?
    Or peanut-butter for that matter! Easy to get in the States, especially at this time of year, but I haven't seen any here.

Thanks!

I think a more flavoursome option would be to fill a pumpkin with some delicious irish craft beer and drink deeply from it.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I thought the boil is what mostly killed the flavour of adjuncts, and adding during secoundary would preserve alot of it?
    Not for fruit. Soft fruit is little other than sugar and water.
    Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I'd be more likely to put a request in for Hop-Hazard.
    That was certainly one of the beers they brought in before. Don't know if they still do, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I was in the US last week and Pumpkin beer was all over the place. I tried one and the only noticeable non-beer flavour was cinnamon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I was in the US last week and Pumpkin beer was all over the place. I tried one and the only noticeable non-beer flavour was cinnamon.

I agree, when I was in the states two years ago it the pumpkin beer just reminded me of the dunkin donuts pumpkin coffee in that it was swimming with cinnamon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

L.Mulligans are getting a cask of this in for the weekend.

387943_10150340812993543_184037108542_8086599_1231524064_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just finished a lovely pint of it. Great beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where did you look for peanut butter? i.e. what section of supermarkets.

There was a thread about supposed difficulty in getting peanut butter here before and I found it really confusing, as it is so readily available, tesco have 13 types!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i meant peanut butter flavoured beer ha.

wish i could try that pumpkin ór! i don't suppose it comes in bottles at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i meant peanut butter flavoured beer ha.

wish i could try that pumpkin ór! i don't suppose it comes in bottles at all?!
    Nope, it's a once off, available on cask only, and maybe a precursor to their possible Pumpkin Ale next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nope, it's a once off, available on cask only, and maybe a precursor to their possible Pumpkin Ale next year.

Once-off as in only one cask available? Or is there more and is it anywhere else apart from L.Mulligan (loike southside)?

Once-off as in only one cask available?
    Yep.
    Or is there more
    Nope.
    and is it anywhere else apart from L.Mulligan
    Nope. A bi-locating cask would probably disqualify it from being Real Ale.

They say it's a trial run for next year when they'll scale it up properly. I hope they do: it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Man that really is a limited edition! Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's almost as if the brewery are doing it for the love and passion of brewing rather than for hard nose financial gain.

Advertisement