Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your YT activity?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what people do on YouTube...What kind of stuff do you upload, what do you like watching, any favourite channels?

I am currently uploading two FIFA12 projects - one is Ultimate Team based with gameplay mixed with live reaction (visual rather than just audio), the other is based on the, rather excellent, Head to Head Seasons where I chart my progress and do post-match commentary.

As for watching, I am a big fan of EpicMealTime, FPSRussia and Cross Counter TV - love their _____ Adventures and Running Sets series. Will often catch up on tournament footage too, especially matches featuring particular players. Watch music videos...Well, listen to music and video is on in another tab.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I upload random stuff, might be random gameplay, could be a vlog, could be part of a Let's Play.

I watch a lot of random crap, including several Let's Players, some friends, a couple of big major channels like FPSRussia and EMT, and a load of bumfluff. These days I've taken to subscribing to friends who upload either ****e or nothing since it looks like YouTube is trying to deprecate "friendship" on YT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

The only videos I really upload are "Gun Game Stabbing Reactions" in Black Ops, and the odd gameplay for online friends. I did do a montage over the summer with a friend and he did a really good job of the editing for that, planning to do another in MW3 with him :)

I really enjoy watching montages, Promod and then general pub stomping, witb some creative editing and some clever music (Glint / Jazz spring to mind).

Outside of CoD I love watching playthroughs of old PS1/N64/GB games, EpicMealTime and some other channels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The stuff I upload is fairly niche, 'lets play' style stuff from the 8 bit computers up to last gen.I tend to watch similar kind of stuff , although I've subbed to a few BF/Mincraft (well basically Tallons) channels.Oh and a guy who reviews stuff from poundland(aka 2 euro) shops.Trust me , its actually quite funny.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I watch all kinds of nerd stuff on YT, I don't spend money on lots of the stuff I find intriguing so it's mainly how I get my fix, so I watch the odd toy/comic/transformers review online, mainly from the pop culture network.

I too watch Ashens, amusing stuff, but I think the Angry Video Game nerd is easily my favourite YT personality.

I watch a fair few fighting game vids on youtube. You kind of have to if you're playing them at this point to keep up :) Cross Counter, hakf and the online warrior come to mind.

Myself, I put up a mix of match footage from tournaments and v logs mainly.

Interestingly enough, the v logs easily get the most positive responses from viewers but also get way less views. Doesn't make any sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Interestingly enough, the v logs easily get the most positive responses from viewers but also get way less views. Doesn't make any sense :)

People are wierd! Me simply showing pack openings for Ultimate Team or my squad - 1,000 views easily...Putting in effort, emotion and skills on the line - far, FAR less and requires much more promotion!

🤪

• Advertisement

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    People are wierd! Me simply showing pack openings for Ultimate Team or my squad - 1,000 views easily...Putting in effort, emotion and skills on the line - far, FAR less and requires much more promotion!

I suppose it's more about making a video that a random person would come across view wise.

It's still annoying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Thomasheen

I upload games I find entertaining to music I find enjoyable. As for watching vids I'll watch anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I used to try stick to CoD.. Then Minecraft happened!!!

Now I Upload everything from Solitare, to Flash games and vlogs

As for watching, I am subbed to hundreds of channels, mostly gameing, but also Guitar, music, vlog other things that interest me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Looking back on my last few videos there's been Mineraft, CS:S, Spyro 2, Pokemon Red, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3 Beta, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and CoD4.

I do like to mix it up a little. As for what I watch, mainly smaller guys. Atm I'm tearing through all the Yogscasts WoW videos. Definitely my favourite channel on youtube. Then I'll watch smaller irish lads and friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I tend to do daily uploads for long Let's Plays. Current one is a 30+ hour game and will go to roughly 100 parts without a doubt. Other games I just do whenever I have the time, like montages are short videos.

I recorded one with one of my mates a week ago and it was great fun to edit so we're gonna try and do more when we can.

I don't always do commentary. Theres no point forcing myself to if I won't have anything to say.

Watching guys like HCBailly and Two Best Freinds Play really made me want to get into it. Tallon was the first Irish account I came across around the time I got Minecraft so it just builed from there. Don't watch as much as I used to because I get so many ideas for recording, but when I do I've ended up watching boardsies.

• Advertisement

I tend to do daily uploads for long Let's Plays. Current one is a 30+ hour game and will go to roughly 100 parts without a doubt.

How long are you making each part? I've found that for long series, parts of around 25-30 minutes work best to keep the viewer's attention and without spamming them with short videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

TheChrisD wrote: »
    How long are you making each part? I've found that for long series, parts of around 25-30 minutes work best to keep the viewer's attention and without spamming them with short videos.
    I record gameplay well in advance when I can, I think I recorded two weeks worth one sunday.

They started around 10-15 minutes each, mainly because my Dazzle's driver was crashing whenever I tried to record over 9 minutes. Roughly two bouts of 8 minutes into one 15-minute episode.

THEN I got the HD PVR and its drivers with it. Since then I've been doing 20 minute bouts no problem, and they started yesterday. Today's upload was 23 minutes.

I don't want to go over that because personally I get bored watching longer than 20 minutes, no matter what the video is. 15-20 mins I can sit and watch anytime. I have to set time aside to watch a 30minute video.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

if youre doing fifa, thrust me people LOVE pack openings! i mean i put aload of effort into a montage or a squad video and i get 1.5-2k views, i do a quick pack opening and it gets 4k!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

RopeDrink wrote: »
    What the hell is a Love Pack opening?

no i mean they enjoy it, get it? if you dont play fifa you wouldnt understand :P

if youre doing fifa, thrust me people LOVE pack openings! i mean i put aload of effort into a montage or a squad video and i get 1.5-2k views, i do a quick pack opening and it gets 4k!

Ah, so you are a boardsie :) Yeah it's crazy how popular pack openings are. With the web app, I recorded the daily gifts and they were crazily popular! Harder to get views on projects I'm more proud of though (but getting there)...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

sticking minicamcorders headcams on me radio control model tank, boat and mini sportscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Awesome, what's your channel name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

BumpyNanorider

Although the 1/43 scale sportscar is going strong, as for the boats, well the first boat capsized and this destroyed the electric motor, the second boat, um, I gave that away cos the electric motor always annoyed me.

Strangest of all, I have a new boat, bought it in Toymaster Mary Street, a Nikko speedboat, and I have'nt got the time even to trial it. Diddums.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

I'm part of a small gaming community called shotgunmeetface. We record all sorts of stuff from BF3 to Unchartered to Skyrim to Zombies. The community only started a few months. We will be changing the channel to better categorise the videos into zombies, multiplayer, co-op and a lets play.

We are always looking for new members interested in gaming and creating gaming content for youtube channels. PM if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Watch mostly CoD footage and other similair shtuff. When I have time then I watch vlogs and the like.

Rarely upload vids but have a new project in mind *watch this space*

• Advertisement

AFAIK all youtube channels in good standing have been able to upload vids of up to several hours Rope. My year in review vids reached 25 mins each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I record a mix of game footage, unboxings, discussions etc all revolving around 2D shooting games and the culture/fanaticism surrounding them.

I also do make infrequent videos about my arcade cabinet. Repairs, games etc. again, all SHMUP stuff as it ties in with my blog.

YouTube link is http://www.youtube.com/stuffiwrote

Blog link is http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk

Hope it's of some value to someone. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Recently went campaigning on the Dolphin Forums, SmashBoard Forums and SRK SSBB Forums about the Dolphin Emulator + Super Smash Brothers Brawl being Emulated.

Trying to find SOME way of finding people who play it (Multiplayer) but not much luck even though they do exist.

Would love to add some SSBB (PC) Multiplayer matches to the channel but so far stuck with just playing Bots.

Shame - I think a bunch of people at a LAN or event could probably have a lot of fun with it - Then again, it's not like people don't still play on the WII/GC etc anyway :confused:

Game is too much fun, even vs CPU.

SSB is awesome,still play it against my bro on the wii when I'm home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I've started to record more to upload to youtube, I have plans to do a (mostly silent) let's play of the mod "Misery" for Call of Pripyat.

Other than that, I have a few videos of gameplay from random games.

EDIT: Channel: www.youtube.com/user/venomireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

watch a lot of vids and just started making some
    if people could give some feedback or advice thatd be fantastic

http://www.youtube.com/user/UpstartCaesaer3?feature=mhee

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Conorp55

I started uploading Let's Plays recently, so far we have Minecraft, Terraria and Skyrim ! But lots more games and Episodes to come ! :D

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSplashback?feature=mhee

NOTE: This is more of a general activity thread rather than promoting yourselves. There's already a thread to highlight your channel...I'm sure uploading isn't the only thing you do on YouTube.

🤪

Thanks to the break and the above copyright issue I was suprised that it cost me about 150 subscribers

Well, there has been a bit of a clear-out recently, combined with the general downturn in subscribers everyone is experiencing.

What else is there to do? Sit there watching clips 24/7? Engage in debate with the 10 billion trolls and flamers in YouTubes community in the vain attempt of sifting through to find the occasional diamond in the rough?

Ok, yes, there is that... But for me, YouTube is nothing BUT a place to upload - I mean sure, I love being able to have off-days and browse // discover clips, but that forms 20% of my YouTubing.

Also, the other thread is typically a 'once off promote' - I think I was one of the recent (But not super early) people to post a link to my channel and that has long long been lost since, seeing as it now has pages and pages of other people chomping at the bit to promote, so it's kinda wasted, but still worth doing.

On the first point, well....Yes. If there was noone actually watching YouTube vids, what's the point of uploading? I can watch my own recordings on my PC.

On the second point, that was the purpose of this thread. Maybe someone would highlight an interesting series so that there is no need to wads through trolls / thousands of videos.

I'm not sure a load of promotion threads will do this forum any good - I can set up a thread for that. However, I am ok with people asking for feedback on videos / ideas // asking for help with editing or recording tricks.

🤪

• Advertisement

Yeah there was a massive cull. Even my teeny little channel lost 50 subs.

That said, they're people who haven't logged in in a number of years, so really it's not an actual loss.

Advertisement