Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wicklow Way?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about The Wicklow Way which I'm hoping to walk next year. So here's my questions:

1. Is it safe to walk the Wicklow Way alone?
    2. Is it possible to camp along the way as opposed to staying in B&B's etc?
    3. Which direction is best to walk it? North to South or South to North?
    4. What would you carry in your pack?

Many thanks,

TP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

tunepimper wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about The Wicklow Way which I'm hoping to walk next year. So here's my questions:

Many thanks,

TP

loads of info if you use the search function for the ww on this form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

As per DuckySauce, your best bet would be to search for the forum for info - there is loads here. However a quick answer to the questions would be:

1. Yes - never heard of any difficulties. I've walked some sections of it, always alone.
    2. Yes - and people do. Not strictly legal and the section from Marley park to knockree can be busy tent wise. Avoid camping at Knockree as it is popular with some skanger elements.
    3. Obvious/most popular is to walk north to south but going from south to north would proably be better as the views and challenge would improve all the times: i've heard the last third of the wicklow (most southern part) is kind of dull.
    4. Not sure - only ever walked day sections, never camped. You'd probably be needing a 60 litre rucksuck for all your stuff at a minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Hi,

Many thanks,

TP

I am hoping to do the same thing next year myself including the camping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi,

1. Is it safe to walk the Wicklow Way alone? Yes, using common sense

2. Is it possible to camp along the way as opposed to staying in B&B's etc? Yes, following leave no trace ethics and being discreet

3. Which direction is best to walk it? North to South or South to North? South to North

4. What would you carry in your pack? You shouldnt be walking the wicklow way alone if you can't answer this yourself ;)

Many thanks,

TP

:):)

Advertisement