Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found an injured frog

Options
  • 24-10-2011 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

So I found a frog last night in Cork city centre, on the street, and I was scared it'd get killed by a car, so I brought it home because I didn't know what else to do. It's missing part of a back foot and has a cut on the other leg, but otherwise seems fine.

I did a bit of research and for now I have it in a big lunchbox, with the lid slightly raised so that air can get in but the frog can't get out, with a little bit of spring water and some rocks to climb on, and I have to try to catch some flies or something or buy crickets for it, apparently (which I'm not looking forward to!)

I'm a vet nursing student and I don't really know anything about frogs but I could do more research and take care of him myself and return him to the wild or keep him if he couldn't be returned, or I could take him to a vet, or to a sanctuary, but I don't know what is best?

Do you think he or she would still be able to survive in the wild with a missing back foot? Because if he can't then I would be prepared to keep him and get a good setup and everything, or find someone to take him.

Do you think a vet would be able to do much or would they put them to sleep if they can't be returned to the wild? I'd like to give him a chance, and he might need vet treatment. I don't have any money at all right now but some vet should treat him for free . . .

Or does anyone know any sanctuaries for wild animals? I can't travel with him, but on Wednesdays there's an animal expo in St John's College and there'll be different people there and there'll be someone from a sanctuary for exotic pets there. I know this isn't a pet, but they'd know how to look after him I'm sure, so I might ask them.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

So I found a frog last night in Cork city centre, on the street, and I was scared it'd get killed by a car, so I brought it home because I didn't know what else to do. It's missing part of a back foot and has a cut on the other leg, but otherwise seems fine.

I did a bit of research and for now I have it in a big lunchbox, with the lid slightly raised so that air can get in but the frog can't get out, with a little bit of spring water and some rocks to climb on, and I have to try to catch some flies or something or buy crickets for it, apparently (which I'm not looking forward to!)

I'm a vet nursing student and I don't really know anything about frogs but I could do more research and take care of him myself and return him to the wild or keep him if he couldn't be returned, or I could take him to a vet, or to a sanctuary, but I don't know what is best?

Do you think he or she would still be able to survive in the wild with a missing back foot? Because if he can't then I would be prepared to keep him and get a good setup and everything, or find someone to take him.

Do you think a vet would be able to do much or would they put them to sleep if they can't be returned to the wild? I'd like to give him a chance, and he might need vet treatment. I don't have any money at all right now but some vet should treat him for free . . .

Or does anyone know any sanctuaries for wild animals? I can't travel with him, but on Wednesdays there's an animal expo in St John's College and there'll be different people there and there'll be someone from a sanctuary for exotic pets there. I know this isn't a pet, but they'd know how to look after him I'm sure, so I might ask them.

Thanks for any help :)

H SophieSakura,

My approach might seem harsh but hear me out.

I think this frog's best chances are in the wild.

Given their environmental and dietary requirements, not to mention the stress of captivity, this frog will do better given its chances in nature.I would take it to a clean freshwater pond with shallows and well vegetated cover, and release it.

I don't think you will get a vet with experience of amphibians, and even if you do, I do not believe it will be a good patient.

That's my opinion, for what its worth.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I've found frogs in the wild that have been missing feet/legs and they seem to do alright if they recover from the initial injury. I'd release it in the nearest suitable habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have to agree with Half cocked and LostCovey. The best thing would be to release it back into freshwater and let it have a fighting chance that way.

The longer it is kept by you, the greater the chance of it going into shock or not getting something it needs.

As you are in Cork city, maybe take it to the Lough and let it go there? It has plenty of everything a frog would need to have a chance to survive, and even if it did not make it, then it would still go to good use there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Thanks for the replies. The frog is still doing well. I was just worried that it would not survive in the wild, but if it has a chance then I'll be happy to release it :)

I'll take it to the Lough and release it there. I hope it survives, at least I gave it some chance. :)

Advertisement