Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car in flooded underground car park

Options
  • 24-10-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi all, some advice/ past experience required.

Myself and the other half just came home to our apartment complex and the underground car park is flooded. No joke- I couldn't really get down to the entrance but the water is almost up to the roof of one car I could see.

I'm coming to the conclusion that our cars are both gonners. Does anyone know where this lies in terms of insurance? We are both fully comp. Is flooding normally covered? Has anyone come across something like this before?

Thanks all

Ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

bohsfan wrote: »

Myself and the other half just came home to our apartment complex and the underground car park is flooded. No joke- I couldn't really get down to the entrance but the water is almost up to the roof of one car I could see.

I'm coming to the conclusion that our cars are both gonners. Does anyone know where this lies in terms of insurance? We are both fully comp. Is flooding normally covered? Has anyone come across something like this before?

Thanks all

Ed

I'd assume management company would be liable, but pics or it didnt happen!

Can't answer your question but flippin hell that's awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I know in some cases of extreme weather insurance doesn't cover it due to it being "an act of God" who ever he is,

hopefully the apartment insurance will cover it thou?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

There's a difference between an "act of god" and "an act of crappy engineering".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

I know this doesn't help the OP, but like that Billy Connolly film, if "act of God" is an excuse for insurance companies not to pay, why doesn't the church pay out instead?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I'd assume management company would be liable, but pics or it didnt happen!

Management company would be liable???. Best of luck. Sounds like another priory hall...car parks should be designed with adequat drainage, even in weather like this. Its the builders who should have carried this out, and the whole team (architects, surveyers etc that come with them)- but for you to deem satisfactory before you sign on the dotted line (if you are an owner). I'd imagine if the cars are a goner than you'd claim on your car insurance?. Best of luck mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Any chance of pics OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

In my experience building insurance normally excludes any vehicles parked there by the occupants. Even if the cars may have some cover you might need to consider claiming off your motor policies then counter-claiming subsequently in order to get the payout processed as quickly as possibly to get you back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Any chance of pics OP?

Never uploaded pics from my phone to here before, but you can see it on this link:

It's well over the roof now, disaster. Thanks for all the advice everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Never uploaded pics from my phone to here before, but you can see it on this link:
    http://instagr.am/p/RViDO/

Feel for ya bud. Best of luck getting sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Wow, that's unbelievable.

I'd sue everybody in sight, probably without much success though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

ooohhh nasty..

bb1d4a998032402da44870a08c7fa2d3_7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Thanks for the pic OP, looks awful.

I would contact the management company immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Crappy engineering at it's finest.

It's like testdriving a ****e car on a motorway, it's only on the back roads when you spot it's flaws...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I feel sick for you. Mine is parked in an underground car park down by the Quays as well. Almost afraid to go down to look. It was fine at about 8.30pm, dry as a bone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Holy crap that is an insane amount of water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

I would contact the management company immediately.

Do you think they could get his car out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

That is insane, OP.
    The cars parked outside in Jobstown have it no better, mind you.

I can see a lot of claims flying around after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

Thanks all

Ed

Have a thumb through your policy document. Damage through flooding is usually covered as part of Accidental Damage other than fire and theft on comprehensive policies. You should be covered. Make sure to ring your insurance company first thing tomorrow after checking your car. Hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is that the complex next to the Aviva Lansdowne Road??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi OP

Sorry for your loss. Your motor insurers will cover you. Subrigation from the management company and or the developer would be difficult if not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Thanks all, been out helping people on the ground floor so haven't been checking in. I'm in Kilmainham so that's why it's been so bad. Really didn't expect a whole car park to fill up tho.

Still, it's only a car. A lot worse could have happened. Will get onto the insurers tomorrow and report back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭scoobymunster

Who would be responsible for getting the water pumped out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Crappy engineering at it's finest.

It's like testdriving a ****e car on a motorway, it's only on the back roads when you spot it's flaws...

What kind of thicko's are we ??? It rains almost every day and yet when it rains heavy all we get is floods and damage to property, Drainage systems that are not reliant on infrastructure left by the British would be a good start, sorry to hear about the two cars in the underground car park, A shambles of a country we are...Rant over.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Really didn't expect a whole car park to fill up tho.

Unlucky OP. Compensation from the builders I would have thought?

No reservoir areas with pumps in the design I expect. My car is in a 3rd basement down parking area near the Quays (Smithfield), but seems to be holding up though the voids that were left for drainage seem to be filling up well. Lots of puddles, but the pumps seem to be working ok. However was down there an hour ago and it's on emergency lighting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Top attitude mate and good on you for helping others out!

How high is that water 8-10-12ft?

One wonders how this flooding of the carpark could affect the building as a whole?

Keep us updated and best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

What were the cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

charlemont wrote: »
    What kind of thicko's are we ??? It rains almost every day and yet when it rains heavy all we get is floods and damage to property, Drainage systems that are not reliant on infrastructure left by the British would be a good start, sorry to hear about the two cars in the underground car park, A shambles of a country we are...Rant over.:mad:

We're a country driven by this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Thanks all, been out helping people on the ground floor so haven't been checking in. I'm in Kilmainham so that's why it's been so bad. Really didn't expect a whole car park to fill up tho.

Still, it's only a car. A lot worse could have happened. Will get onto the insurers tomorrow and report back

I'm in Kilmainham too, car is in about two feet of water in an underground car park. Gates won't open either, so I can't even push it out. As you said, it's only a car. There are a lot of people who's homes have been destroyed around here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

That sucks OP. Hope it all sorts out

Advertisement