Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Weather!

Options
  • 24-10-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭

Crazy flooding in Dublin, the worst I went through was two really bad patches on Long Mile Rd. some people had abandoned their cars!

My waterproof boots were doing a great job until the water got deeper than the top of the boots!!!!

The second bad patch on the Long Mile Rd was the worst, must have been over half a metre deep, the exhaust was under water, had to keep the engine revving to stop the water entering the pipe, I was convinced that the engine was going to suck in water through the intake and die.

Finally got home (after an hour and a half instead of 20 mins) and my shed is under 10cm of water...

It's STILL lashing rain :(

Life ain't always empty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yeah, it's really bad out there. Be careful folks. Keep the revs up and the speed down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

One advantage of a really high air intake. I was glad I still have a fair dolop of thread left.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Best fun I have had on a bike in ages. I really enjoyed the trip home. All my gear is hanging in the bath at the moment. I have never been through water like that. At one point I was going through a massive piece of water and realised there was a speed bump under it right in the middle.

On a serious note is there anything I should check on the engine tomorrow ? It was pretty deep in places. The engine did cut out on me when I got home for the first time ever.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cionn wrote: »

On a serious note is there anything I should check on the engine tomorrow ? It was pretty deep in places. The engine did cut out on me when I got home for the first time ever.

C

Make sure you're electrics are all dry. Get the bike into as dry, and warm, a place as possible and spray everywhere with WD40. Make sure to avoid the brakes.

If the bike had taken in water it would be dead so there's none in the engine, but some may have gotten in by breathers so check you're oil for water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ninja900 wrote: »
    Crazy flooding in Dublin, the worst I went through was two really bad patches on Long Mile Rd. some people had abandoned their cars!

My waterproof boots were doing a great job until the water got deeper than the top of the boots!!!!

The second bad patch on the Long Mile Rd was the worst, must have been over half a metre deep, the exhaust was under water, had to keep the engine revving to stop the water entering the pipe, I was convinced that the engine was going to suck in water through the intake and die.

Finally got home (after an hour and a half instead of 20 mins) and my shed is under 10cm of water...

It's STILL lashing rain :(
    I saw that bit on the long mile and turned back! No one was going through it. Was it near bikeworld? You weren't on some orange bike were you? Was talking to a lad that was going to chance it!
    Here's my journey: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75111274&postcount=232

Nightmare journey home. On my route home:
    Dolphin Road along the canal was completely flooded. Went through about 100m long flood about 2 foot deep. Davitt Road at blackhorse was flooded. Naas road after the Kilmore road junction was flooded. Kylemore road was flooded. Long mile road around Bikeworld was flooded. Nangor Road was flooded. JFK drive (parallell with naas road, along the BMW garage) was flooded.

Italics are floods so bad I wouldn't chance going through them. Was on a motorbike. Most of those floods had a car or 2 broken down in the middle of them! Long mile looked deepest, no one on the side heading towards the Naas road was chancing it. Glad to get home!

Best fun I have had on a bike in ages. I really enjoyed the trip home. All my gear is hanging in the bath at the moment. I have never been through water like that. At one point I was going through a massive piece of water and realised there was a speed bump under it right in the middle.

C

Had a load of leaves caught up in mine, check for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I saw that bit on the long mile and turned back! No one was going through it. Was it near bikeworld? You weren't on some orange bike were you? Was talking to a lad that was going to chance it!

Yeah the second, and worse, patch was near Bikeworld and it was about 7:15 when I was there. I was on a silver Triumph. Got through it without incident, just, one or two cars were willing to try it as well and got through but everyone else was just stopped. It got to the point where if I stopped I was fooked anyway, so might as well keep going and hope for the best...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

C

On my bandit, under the rear brake pedal there are a few tubes. One is the petrol overflow pipe and one is for water, think this is from behind the air filter. This has a cap on it that you pull off to empty. Check yours, if you have one!

Bike was perfect yesterday and on the way in. About 2 mins from work, it was very choppy at idle, threatening to cut out. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ninja900 wrote: »
    Yeah the second, and worse, patch was near Bikeworld and it was about 7:15 when I was there. I was on a silver Triumph. Got through it without incident, just, one or two cars were willing to try it as well and got through but everyone else was just stopped. It got to the point where if I stopped I was fooked anyway, so might as well keep going and hope for the best...

I was going to go along the path but was afraid in case there was a kerb i couldn't see. No one was going through when i was there at about 7:45. Had a few cars stuck in it and the water was over their bonnet! Some guy on an orange bike/scooter hybrid was there and he said he was going to try it.
    I turned back to the walkinstown ave crossroad, went left and left again down the naas road and went through one there instead, wasn't as bad. Turned down nangor and was happy to see, even at 8pm in the worst traffic I can remember, cars still wouldn't use the 24 hour bus lane! Another deep looking flood across nangor road where Ducati used to be, lucky I was turning just before it.
    Loads of cars abandoned this morning. One porsche, wouldn't be great in the floods. one old Fiat punto on the naas road half up on the kerb, half on the road with the window down. I reckon the owner won't even bother collecting it!
    Bike started first press of the button this morning, not a bother on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Bike was perfect yesterday and on the way in. About 2 mins from work, it was very choppy at idle, threatening to cut out. Any ideas?

Mine cut out last night when Idle and again this morning when it was lashing again- got it going after a few kicks. Certainly was fun last night got soaked even with some waterproofs and could barely see ahead of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do you have petrol in it?:p

Check all connector blocks and spray then with WD40.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you have petrol in it?:p

Check all connector blocks and spray then with WD40.

Thanks for the reply but I think I figured it out. Seal on a rear indicator was gone and it was full of water. I had used it just before pulling into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Was doing good until a bus decided to peg through the water sending a wave that covered my left non water proof boot. Soggy journey the rest of the way home. But yeah, good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Check the HT leads to the plugs. If there's water in them dry them off and use WD40.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm still drying out the gloves I was wearing on Monday, had them in a warm place until now but there's still damp in the fingers, so I'm using a hairdryer set on cold to just blow air in until they're dry.

Boots are almost there, but then it's easier for the air to get to the toe of a boot than the finger of a glove, and I packed the boots with balled-up newspaper for a couple of days (first day was just pouring water out every couple of hours!) They had been totally immersed though.

Just as well I still had my old gear in the attic to wear.

No more standing water in the shed (there was this morning) but still very damp in there, will see if I can borrow a dehumidifier for a couple of days.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement