Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum Mechanics is now easy to understand

Options
  • 24-10-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

What's Prof. Brian Cox on? He's explaining how easy QM is to follow by asking us to imagine a particle in a room and then picturing it showing up anywhere in the universe in the next moment.
    And I thought you needed Maths to understand it in any other way than the Disney cartoon version....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

camlinhall wrote: »
    What's Prof. Brian Cox on? He's explaining how easy QM is to follow by asking us to imagine a particle in a room and then picturing it showing up anywhere in the universe in the next moment.

I heard the interview and really disliked the way they went about explaining that tbh.
    And I thought you needed Maths to understand it in any other way than the Disney cartoon version....

You do to a point. However, the very basic principles and some of the resultant effects are fairly straightforward. Something like the two-slit experiment is easy enough to explain and gives a fantastic insight into just where QM differs from normal Newtonian mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭camlinhall

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Something like the two-slit experiment is easy enough to explain and gives a fantastic insight into just where QM differs

Fair enough. I'm prepared to let the professor off with a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pardon my ignorance here but what interview? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭camlinhall

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Advertisement
Advertisement