Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did rabbits exist in Ireland before the Normans ?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Watching Dick Warner's Waterways, he stated that the Normans introduced the rabbit. I have Googled and found a site to confirm this "Rabbits were introduced by the Normans for food. The first recorded warren was on Lambay Island in 1191." *

I find ot hard to believe, is it possibly an urban myth ?

* http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/Rabbit.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is quite true. The little coinin is indeed a species that was introduced to Ireland in the 12th century.

The hare on the other hand was already here and is a true native species.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's true as far as I know. THey were introduced to Britain by the Romans and then here by the Normans sometime later.

I'm open to correction of course! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i note the link in the first post does not mention raptors in the species which prey on rabbits; is this due to them being mainly nocturnal?

just wondering if rabbit control has any knock-on effects on predator numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

i note the link in the first post does not mention raptors in the species which prey on rabbits; is this due to them being mainly nocturnal?

just wondering if rabbit control has any knock-on effects on predator numbers.

They do get preyed upon by certain raptors here in Ireland, and some raptors have had their numbers badly hit in the past when there were huge outbreaks of myxomatosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I think our rabbit species originally came from Andalucia, Spain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kess73 wrote: »
    They do get preyed upon by certain raptors here in Ireland, and some raptors have had their numbers badly hit in the past when there were huge outbreaks of myxomatosis.

Yeah - that was the case when myxomatosis was first intruduced here earlier in the last centuary. However there appears to be increasing resistance to this disease over the last 20 years in this country and most outbreaks are now rather local with the population making a quick recovery in the following breeding season. I do see the odd sick rabbit in these parts but it doesn't appear to affect the population in any measurable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think our rabbit species originally came from Andalucia, Spain?

The native range is in Spain and Southern France so that is a possiblity

Advertisement