Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooth Removal Healing

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a tooth out last Tuesday morning. It wasn't a major job, pretty quick and not overly painful to be honest.

Nearly a week on now though, and I still have a pain on that side of my mouth, is this normal or should it be gone by now? It is more an uncomfortable pain than much else, and it feels a bit swollen but doesn't look it.

I've been grinning and bearing it, thinking it was normal, but some people are telling me I could have an infection???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's pretty normal
    if it was abnormal, you'd likely ****ing know :)

i think it depends if it was a lower or a higher tooth, I had a lower right tooth pulled a few weeks back and my dentist warned me of dry socket. where the hole left from the tooth being gone doesnt get covered properly (smoking, eating.. any kind of sucking early on can dislodge the blood clot and then you can have trouble). apparently teeth on the lower side are more prone to this.

I had pain/discomfort for a week or a little more and I was kinda worried, but from what I read online... if you had dry socket, or the beginnings of dry socket.. you'd ****ing know. saw a few quotes online from women saying it was more painful than giving birth.

if it doesn't go away, or you're getting more worried about it just head back to the dentist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

it's pretty normal
    if it was abnormal, you'd likely ****ing know :)

i think it depends if it was a lower or a higher tooth, I had a lower right tooth pulled a few weeks back and my dentist warned me of dry socket. where the hole left from the tooth being gone doesnt get covered properly (smoking, eating.. any kind of sucking early on can dislodge the blood clot and then you can have trouble). apparently teeth on the lower side are more prone to this.

I had pain/discomfort for a week or a little more and I was kinda worried, but from what I read online... if you had dry socket, or the beginnings of dry socket.. you'd ****ing know. saw a few quotes online from women saying it was more painful than giving birth.

if it doesn't go away, or you're getting more worried about it just head back to the dentist.

I woke up one morning and it felt like Barry McGuigan had been pounding on one side of my face all night.

Went back to the Dentist and I did indeed have a dry socket. He put an imitation blood clot in, which helped enormously. That fell out the weekend, and doesn't feel anywhere near as bad as before, but I know it aint right, so gotta head back again this avo!!

Advertisement