Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider Awards Shortlist

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

The shortlist is supposed to be out today- anyone heard anything?

The irony is that the website for the actual awards isnt very user-friendly-no news section!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

yup they are up on the website now

aside from the fact that their own website is as you say 'very user-friendly' has lots of deadlinks, and is just not a very pretty site at all

i was just poking around at the shortlists

some choices perplex me to be honest :

for example : http://www.theinviteinn.ie/

perhaps i have missed some cutting edge trends on site development but is this just a few jpegs linked together ?

are the golden spiders lacking entries this year ? if so i can understand - they obviously want to fill thier awards ceremony (at 250 quid a dinner)

but come on some of those are not worthy of a C in a 2nd year college project.

can these awards be seen as credible with such carry on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭jmcc

They never were credible.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm not sure what they base the award on but if it's for design, that certainly shouldn't be an entry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, the Spider Awards have picked up their standards a little in the last couple of years - there's a few good designs in there if you look for them & it's not the trainwreck of bad design it used to be - but yes in the main they lack credibility in the eyes of frontline designers & developers. It certainly didn't help either when companies were winning the categories they themselves were sponsoring.

Having said that, the Golden Spiders aren't really there for you or I: they're a back-slapping ceremony for corporate management & administration, where the 'nominees' are effectively paid-for by the agencies who birthed them. We're simply not the demographic at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

I have a site up for both "Listings" and "One to Watch" - It's PigSty.ie - would LOVE some feedback as to what you would rate my chances as...I don't want to spend €600 going to an awards that I have no chance of winning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

The Golden Spiders is a corporate award ceremony. It doesn't represent quality on any level and the people who organise it aren't authorities within the web/digital industry by any stretch of the imagination. The very same goes for the Digital Media Awards.

There is huge profit made from the night and, arguably, you're unlikely to win unless you've spent a considerable amount on a table for you and your guests.

At any rate, most award ceremonies in most industries are corrupt I'd imagine.

Don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

thanks for all the feedback. I'm beginning to see what you mean. the category i had submitted a website for has a few shortlisted websites which are less than impressive to say the least. but that just sounds like sour apples.

I was surprised though at the lack of innovation in some of the websites chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

No credibility whatsoever. I know someone who attended and it's serious money for a table on the night. Just another money making scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

€300 a head, €2,900 for table according to http://www.eircomspiders.ie/tablebooking.php

You're bound to get some poor entries when you can nominate yourself for an award being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

€300 a head, €2,900 for table according to http://www.eircomspiders.ie/tablebooking.php

You're bound to get some poor entries when you can nominate yourself for an award being honest.
    Wow and exclusive of vat as well O.o. Can companies claim VAT back on such a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

is it not ironic also that they held thier special deal (ie 2500 for a table :-) ) up until right before the shortlist was announced....

thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is it not ironic also that they held thier special deal (ie 2500 for a table :-) ) up until right before the shortlist was announced....

thoughts ?
    not really.

many awards/conferences have early bird specials then jack up the price closer to the event. not saying i like the practice but the eircom spiders generally aren't alone.

I've been to two spider award shows they are great fun, not really serious as they are made out to be and i'm looking forward to this year's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

not really.

many awards/conferences have early bird specials then jack up the price closer to the event. not saying i like the practice but the eircom spiders generally aren't alone.

I've been to two spider award shows they are great fun, not really serious as they are made out to be and i'm looking forward to this year's one.

Yeah but ultimately they damage the web industry by being run and judged (predominantly) by organisations and people who are aren't industry leaders.

I'm sure it's great fun on the night but it's a money making exercise at the end of the day with zero regard for celebrating or awarding quality or high standards. Quite the opposite in many cases actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

that invite inn site turns into envelopments without warning at some points. Very confusing......

it's also 150 to nominate yourself to cover the nomination administration fee (maybe ryanair need to get in on the act here!)

confusing site (spiders) anyway, eircom have a design philosophy of cramming as much on the screen as posibble and making it the readers job to work out what they need and where to go. it's tough on the eyes...

Advertisement