Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provident Personal Finance Problems?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I recently applied for a loan from Provident,
    they claimed to pride themselves on being helpful in all circumstances, I'd heard about them from my mother whod used them for years to get extra cash for xmas,
    I recently moved to dublin, and needed help with rent so i arranged to get a loan,

I got a call from their rep, and arranged that a lady agent would contact me to complete the process and give me the loan,

I waited a few days nail bitingly, and recieved a call 3 or so days later while at a friends house that she'd be at my house in half an hour to give me the loan, I mentioned being far away and i got a "im a busy woman.." etc speech, so i rushed back as fast as i could while in transit i got a call saying she was at my house,
    I was only 15 minutes away and i sai if she could rearrange a day it would be better so she didnt have to wait,
    She seemed to be fine with that,
    the next day i texted her and asked when would suit, and the initial rep(man) contacted me and said she wasnt happy to give me the loan because I wasnt there,
    and that i should ring the office(?) to get another agent to complete the loan,
    two weeks later i finally find the number for the office after reapplying
    The number being hidden on the SO YOUVE BEEN ACCEPTED PAGE

Iv contacted my rep numerous times and no reply nly to say the office isnt open on saturdays,
    No word and no assistance, and noone had given me the number
    I almost feel like they've blacklisted me or something?
    The attitude i encountered was tart and rude.

Has anyone else encountered problems with this company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

Is this the company you're talking about?
    http://providentpersonalcredit.ie

Have you looked at their website? In their 'typical loan example' the APR is 157.3% You must be out of your mind to even consider taking out a loan with them.
    The fact that their 'rep' couldn't meet you to get you to sign up to their ridiculously high interest rate loan is the best luck you've had all week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't ask any ''company'' for a loan if they call to my house to hand me the cash in person.

Sounds dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

[HTML][/HTML]

OMG just had a look at that site, to borrow €500 pay back over a year total repayments €780! that's €280 in interest,that's shocking.

OP would you consider going to your local credit union?? On a €500 loan for a year i'd say your repayments would only be about €50 odd..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kraigusss

iv just moved to a new area and havent actually ever saved much more than 100 in a credit union,

Its literally a LAST resort option,

300 gets paid back at 390

high i know but I could do with the cash like.
    rent aint cheap

I still think you should give them a call and ask, €300 is a small amount and once you have a record of any savings with them they will consider it. Have you tried your bank?

• Advertisement

So to solve the problem of not being able to pay your rent you're going to take a loan and end up paying more money instead?

I'm basically a fresh case.
    No financial past, no debts, but no savings.

so i don't really know how easy it would be to get a loan in my condition?

i'm unemployed,

Would i really be priority?
    I'm sure the banks would'nt care about me losing my gaff,
    when other have pid off their houses for years and they take them..?

You can see the bind im in.
    I need 300 to cover rent, for the end of this month
    So high interest loans are looking tasty atm
    small rate each week to cover it.

So to solve the problem of not being able to pay your rent you're going to take a loan and end up paying more money instead?

well with no credit history and no savings while unemployed

whats a boy to do?.....:confused:

well i'm assuming you're drawing social welfare so that should be sufficient income.

however have you considered contacting your local HSE office and explaining the situation? I believe they give small short term assistance in cases such as these?

But you should still try the bank / c.u, you have income am sure they will still consider the loan.

Kraigusss wrote: »
    well with no credit history and no savings while unemployed

whats a boy to do?.....:confused:

Well if you have no job and can't afford your rent then you need to either move somewhere where your rent is cheaper or move home if that's an option.

What will you do next month when you can't afford your rent? Or the month after?

• Advertisement

Do you really think so?

Yeah i have an income via J.S.A

I'v just never applied for a loan from a bank
    :|
    DAUNTING.

Well if you have no job and can't afford your rent then you need to either move somewhere where your rent is cheaper or move home if that's an option.

What will you do next month when you can't afford your rent? Or the month after?

Well I can afford my rent, its just that its taken a month or so for my J.S.A to transfer from my old address,

so two months rent has accrued in the interim time,
    I dont have the money off hand to cover it,
    If I pay off this rent than Im fine with rent allowance afterwards

Its just the meantime that Is annoying..

normally i wouldnt even dream of saying this...but given the choice between a loan at 157% APR and a card balance at probably about 22% APR, its the lesser of two evils....you could borrow the €300 as a cash advance on your credit card, if you have one. just start working on clearing it ASAP

First time applying for a loan can be stressful but dont be afraid to as the staff in the bank for help about any questions you have, sure that's what they're there for. the only thing i would say is dont be tempted to ask for anymore than you definitely need.

useless wrote: »
    normally i wouldnt even dream of saying this...but given the choice between a loan at 157% APR and a card balance at probably about 22% APR, its the lesser of two evils....you could borrow the €300 as a cash advance on your credit card, if you have one. just start working on clearing it ASAP

I dont have a credit card, I have a credit union account, no idea at all how much i have in it,
    and a bank account that houses 0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Kraigusss wrote: »
    I dont have a credit card, I have a credit union account, no idea at all how much i have in it,
    and a bank account that houses 0.00

You have a credit union a/c with some sort of positive balance. That's a great start- pay your CU a visit first to see if they can help you out.

Best of luck in getting sorted out with your rent & with your job search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Just to give you some idea of how much Provident charge. €300 from a CU, paying back €10 p/w you will payback aprox €310 total. If you paid €20 p/w back, you would pay back €305.

Give your CU a call, and see what they can do, before you go to loan sharks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moneylenders = bad news. Do not use. As we don't really allow discussion of them here, I'll close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement