Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there more potential energy in a rubber band or a spring?

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, i have a project to do for college and i need to know what would drive a small car further a rubber band or a spring. Im talking about a good big rubber band and a strong spring

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Call of Duty -> Phyics and Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Do a bit of research to find the potential energy stored in a spring and an elastic band. That should help you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Is the exercise to find the potential energy stored in each or just to try and get a car as far as possible? If its the latter just get a spring with as high a spring constant as you can (and as long as possible if a compression spring) and as thick a rubber band as you can (within reason) and see which works best.

If you have to go into the maths behind it things get a little bit trickier as the stiffness of the elastic band will most likely not be constant with displacement as it will be with the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

rubber band and spring are in effect the exact same thing (mechanically and scientifically) but i'd go with a spring. It will take, and hence release much more energy compared to a rubber band, the band will fail before the spring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is more energy in the rubber band if you have a steam powered car and you burn the rubber.

Look up the energy density of each.

BTW:
    Heat of combustion of rubber tires is about 34 MJ/kg

• Advertisement
Advertisement