Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attenborough on death and coping with grief through nature

Options
  • 24-10-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

I read recently some opinions from David Attenborough in relation to how he copes with the death of his wife. I found it an interesting perspective as one of the big questions frequently posed to non-believers is how do they cope in such situations.

Sample:
    Sir David said he was like “most people” in finding solace in nature.

“In moments of grief – deep grief – the only consolation you can find is in the natural world. People write to me and tell me this.

“People of great distinction (I won’t name names) have written and said, ‘When so-and-so died, the only thing that made life tolerable was to watch programmes on plants and animals.’

“And I thought, ‘That’s true for me, yes.’ Because we are part of it and part of a big, enduring thing.”

Of his own mortality, he said: "I don't fear death, but I fear suffering, of course, who wouldn't? You hope when the moment comes that it won't last long and it won't be a trial and tribulation to those you hold dear. But I know perfectly well that I'm not immortal."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8831565/Sir-David-Attenboroughs-comfort-from-grief-in-natural-world.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anonymous2011

I am new to Boards and cant seem to find the appropriate forum for my topic.

I recently lost a loved one, we were very close. I am wondering how do people cope?

What helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I am new to Boards and cant seem to find the appropriate forum for my topic.

I recently lost a loved one, we were very close. I am wondering how do people cope?

What helps?

Sorry for your loss.

Heres a forum on bereavement you might find better help there http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1363

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

David attenborough is one of the most fascinating people Im aware of. I have an unlimited amount of respect for him, and finding comfort in the natural world is one of the simplest and effective cures for stress and depression that I've found, and its free. I can't count how many times I've been settled or managed to get over hardship by just taking the time to observe the natural beauty in the world. Even taking a dip in the sea is enough to calm me in the hardest times, and forget about whatever materialistic problems may be plaguing me... but maybe that's just me?

Advertisement