Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are our real patriots

Options
  • 23-10-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

I would like to ask that we, as a community, would reflect how real patriotism should manifest itself.
    On one hand we have Mr. Tom McFeely who decided that it would be in our interest that he should go on hunger strike some years back.
    No one that I know of asked him to undertake such an endeavour.
    He seem to have decided on this course of actions because he loves Ireland in a particular way and has the same aversion to the British presence here as Osama Bin Laden had to Christian forces in Saudi Arabia.
    That is entirely his business and I neither applaud nor decry.
    Contrast that with the fact that well meaning families paid him hundreds of thousands of euro in the belief that he would provide them with a home to live in.
    This he has signally failed to do.
    Would it not have been better for all concerned if Mr. McFeely had stuck more to his plastering than his patriotism?
    In certain mindsets in this country burning everything British, [ they have no coal anymore], gains one great kudos at the pub bar or at a Republican meeting. Quietly going about your job and giving good value for money is at best ignored and at worst sneered at and exploited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He could do with going on another hunger strike by the looks of him.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Criminality in republican behaviour destroyed any interest i had and i came out of a very strong republican background.I have been looking for people to believe in for a long time...still lookin' I think many people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Spiderman123

I would like to ask that we, as a community, would reflect how real patriotism should manifest itself.
    On one hand we have Mr. Tom McFeely who decided that it would be in our interest that he should go on hunger strike some years back.
    No one that I know of asked him to undertake such an endeavour.
    He seem to have decided on this course of actions because he loves Ireland in a particular way and has the same aversion to the British presence here as Osama Bin Laden had to Christian forces in Saudi Arabia.
    That is entirely his business and I neither applaud nor decry.
    Contrast that with the fact that well meaning families paid him hundreds of thousands of euro in the belief that he would provide them with a home to live in.
    This he has signally failed to do.
    Would it not have been better for all concerned if Mr. McFeely had stuck more to his plastering than his patriotism?
    In certain mindsets in this country burning everything British, [ they have no coal anymore], gains one great kudos at the pub bar or at a Republican meeting. Quietly going about your job and giving good value for money is at best ignored and at worst sneered at and exploited.
    A) What is this doing in the H & H forum ?

B) How is Sinn Fein respondcible for one individual who cut his ties with the Republican movement decades ago and became a property developer ? What do you want, the IRA to shoot him or something ?

C) If your so worried about "well meaning families paid him hundreds of thousands of euro " and have such superior patriotism and morals, why don't you go on hunger strike for these families Bozo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I suppose it could be compared with De Valera the patriot, who later became involved in dirty-doings with the "family newspaper" business and the third-party investors getting taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

B) How is Sinn Fein respondcible for one individual who cut his ties with the Republican movement decades ago and became a property developer ? What do you want, the IRA to shoot him or something ?

C) If your so worried about "well meaning families paid him hundreds of thousands of euro " and have such superior patriotism and morals, why don't you go on hunger strike for these families Bozo ?

Bozo, eh?
    I suppose I am deserving of a knee capping?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Spiderman123

Bozo, eh?
    I suppose I am deserving of a knee capping?
    Well since you seem to be so upset, maybe you'd consider doing the above to McFeely - or is it only those connected to Republicanism that you get angry about ? No anger at Ahern's buddy's Johnny Ronan, the Bailey brothers, Sean Fitz and Fingers etc ? Or the fact that nearly 3 years later their hasn't been one developer or banker in prison yet with FG and Labour now running the country ?

No God love you, your too busy getting upset about one single developer. Indeed I'd say McFeely was probably more closer to Fianna Fail than SF during the boom building years - which won't ofcourse bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

That's my only question too -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

What is this doing in the H & H forum ?
    MarchDub wrote: »
    That's my only question too -

There is a report function for this type of query folks.

A discussion on patriots is of course suitable for the History and heritage forum.

Unfortunately the OP has not framed the discussion in any type of clear and fair way to allow this discussion. As a result the discussion has turned to mild abuse such as 'bozo' and knee capping, etc. Thread is now closed.
    Moderator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement