Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interval of convergence

Options
  • 23-10-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I have a series that is the sum from 0 to infinity of -
    (-1)^n * x^n

And I am looking for the interval of convergence.

If the (-1)^n wasn't there I could say this is a geometric series were r = x and then that would be convergent where |r| = |x| < 1.
    Then it would have an interval of convergence (-1, 1).

However the (-1)^n has thrown me...I dont think I can say this is a geometric series now so how can I get its interval of convergence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

You can use a comparison with the geometric series or more simply, you could use Hadamard's formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

We havent covered Hadamards formula so I cant use that.

I dont really get how I can compare it with a geometric series...what about the (-1)^n?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Im thinking if I use the alternating series test then the series only converges when x^n approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. So therefore it only converges when |x| < 1 so the interval of convergence is (-1,1). Does that look right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It's geometric anyway, with common ratio (-x).

Advertisement