Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind spot/wide angle mirror gone

Options
  • 23-10-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi All

Van had a slight coming together with another vehicle......mirrors clipped (but Im happy to report I wasnt driving :) )
    Basically the wide angle mirror (the one at the bottom) popped off.....I am left with what looks like two motors (for mirror adjustment) in the mirror casing.

I know that I can get replacement glass from e-bay etc (local Halfords said that they dont stock them). Problem is that I dont know if Im missing more than the glass......should there be a holding plate of some description or other. How does the replacement glass attache to the mirror casing?

BTW the van is on a 2003 Ducato chassis

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

I have lost the larger/main mirror and was able to source it through local fiat dealer. Wasnt expensive.
    With regard to fitting, have a look at where it should clip on for damage.
    Take off the lens on the other side and compare visually. If the wide angle is the same as large mirror it should just clip on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The Clips for holding the mirror on should be part of the back of the mirror glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Cheers folks

I will let you know how I get on

Hi Folks.....resurrecting this thread as I need further help

Basically I got the replacement mirror from e-bay but I cannot get it to fit.....I have checked the other side mirror and can confirm that the new one is the same.

Basically the back of the mirror has what appears to be a wire spring all around the mirror with looks like it is a retaining spring.......if I unclip the spring, the mirror sits in but then I cannot clip it back

Any advice?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

no , thats correct , the clip locks it , i find a little grease helps it slide up onto the holder.

• Advertisement

Cheers

Will try that when the wind dies down :D

Hi All

After following Aidan's advice, I have failed miserably to attach the replacement mirror.
    Please see photos attached and let me know if I am missing something......perhaps something was broken in the mirror casing thus stopping the replacement attaching?

Cheers

Totally selfish bumb to see if I can get a solution :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Looking at the mirror the biege metal strip that goes around the circle is the spring clip that holds it on.There should be lips on the casing that these 4 clips go over(4 beige metal corners inside the circle).A firm push should be enough to get these over the lips on the casing.
    Can't see from picture of casing if these lips are broken off or not.

in the casing, there is a circular piece of plastic with the 2 motors inside. The diameter of this is about 7cm. Pushing back into the casing, this circular plastic narrows (in a step) to about 6cm.....have tried the "brute force and ignorance" approach with no success

The whole thing is going in the bin soon........but it probably wouldnt pass the NCT/DOE/New Test :(

• Advertisement

any chance you could bring it to me? I have a couple of old , damaged mirrors we could gut for bits . I never had any prob fitting a glass tbh. I think there's a piece missing , but I can't see for sure in the picture of the casing.

Every chance but it will be a couple of weeks time......Will be down in Limerick and could "Detour"

Will call you closer to the time

Cheers

Malta1 wrote: »
    Every chance but it will be a couple of weeks time......Will be down in Limerick and could "Detour"

Will call you closer to the time

Cheers

please do , remember I'm off to Kenya for the charity thing from the 24th of Jan to the 4th of Feb..

Advertisement