Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mussolini on Irish Independence

Options
  • 23-10-2011 2:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Mussolini's expertise was foreign affairs; those skilled in understanding these matters alone possessed the kudos needed by any leader who aspired to recognition. Readers of his paper could note Mussolini's inveighing against Britain, 'the fattest most bourgeois nation in the world'. Ireland and Egypt, he demanded, should be set free.

Bosworth, P.132

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Given his foreign policy, interference, invasion and aggression involving various countries (including Libya, Albania etc.), I think it safe to say that he was a hypocrite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Given his foreign policy, interference, invasion and aggression involving various countries (including Libya, Albania etc.), I think it safe to say that he was a hypocrite.

The same could be said of Churchill and Stalin. Hypocrites.

Border-Rat wrote: »
    The same could be said of Churchill and Stalin. Hypocrites.

You're not giving much to work with here.

I could give you plenty. Churchill - staggering hypocrite. Declares war over the brutalisation and occupation of Poland. By the wars end, 100% of Poland is occupied and is twice as brutalised - Churchill shakes the occupiers hand.

Mussolini is a Church-mouse compared to British kleptocrats. How many famines did they create in Mussolinis lifetime?

I could give you plenty. Churchill - staggering hypocrite. Declares war over the brutalisation and occupation of Poland. By the wars end, 100% of Poland is occupied and is twice as brutalised - Churchill shakes the occupiers hand.

Mussolini is a Church-mouse compared to British kleptocrats. How many famines did they create in Mussolinis lifetime?

I'll leave you to your agenda.

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Thats what I thought.

Can you expand on your OP please. What do you wish to explore in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Firstly, Neville Chamberlain was the British prime minister upon the declaration of war with Germany.

Secondly, it was not the sole act of the occupation which led to that declaration. The Franco-British support of Poland was agreed due to the Nazis acting up until that point with the annexation of Austria, Czecho-Slovakia and eyeing up Danzig and other areas with an ethnic German population.

I don't feel that post-war Poland can be held up as a symbol of Churchill's hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

1 Irish lady clearly not impressed with Mussolini

http://italish.blogspot.com/2011/03/irish-woman-who-shot-mussolini.html

At least this bit's interesting.

If the following quote is accurate, it shows that Mussolini had a very confused view of Ireland and the Irish people, pretty much implying that many of the people here were mad.
    What were Il Duce's views? Sir Ronald Graham met him shortly after the incident, and reported to Austen Chamberlain, the then British Foreign Secretary, what Mussolini had said "He replied that...Miss Gibson was stark, staring mad and he hoped before long she would be sent back to her native Ireland where, according to his information regarding the inhabitants, she would find plenty of company!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Without dealing with the substance of his post?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Without dealing with the substance of his post?

Having checked the posting history, I decided not to feed him.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement