Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop Connection

Options
  • 23-10-2011 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice.

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop that I want to access from a mac laptop running snow leopard.

I want to be able to work on the programs (mostly visual studio 2010) that are installed on the Windows, through the mac over the internet.

Is this possible without using VM ware?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 WellieBellie

It has to be free

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Try LogMeIn Free

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

:rolleyes:

I'm trying a trial version of Log me in pro its really not very good the response time is very slow and frustrating. Is there a better or different way, or is this it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Teamviewer
    When you say its slow....where are you and where is the windows pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

I'm trying a trial version of Log me in pro its really not very good the response time is very slow and frustrating. Is there a better or different way, or is this it.

Thanks

Few questions:
    1. Where is your mac located?
    2. Where is your Windows 7 Home Premium laptop located?
    3. What provider for broadband are you using in both sites?
    4. What's the connection speed of the broadband in both sites?

As I'm just setting it up both laptops are in the same house, using vodafone at home broadband with download speed of 2560kbps and upload speed of 312 kbps. When have I have it set up the windows will always be using this broadband and the mac will be on on a college campus with significantly better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

All you need is the Mac RDP client, it will be much faster than logmein when both pcs are on the same lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Logmein free, is just that. Its free, not a trial version of pro. Of course they will "encourge" you to go to pro, but you dont have to. Ive been using free on a couple of family computers for years.
    RDC will work well if you have a VPN setup, otherwise its probably not a good idea if over-the-web connectivity is needed. Another alternative is to setup remote desktop web connection. This invloves installing IIS on the windows box as well as possibly needing DDNS to make getting to it easy.

Short answer, unless you need audio use logmein free, tweak the colour setting and screen res to improve performance. That said, latency on your vodaphone setup will be a killer. At the same level of detail, over a web connection theres little difference in peformance between LMI and RDC.

Another option if both workstations are on the same LAN is VNC, specifically RealVNC + SSH plugin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I think he said the pcs are on the same network, if thats the case RDP will be infinatly better..

That said i use logme in all the time, but on the same lan RDP has almost no lag at all..

• Advertisement

You could also register a Dynamic DNS account, install and run it's updater, open relevant port on firewall (Default is usually 3389) and then just RDP using CoRD with the registered DynamicDNS address for use outside of your network.

Obviously you would have to ensure that your user accounts have adequate passwords applied on your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that worm is a bit of a piss poor effort tbh, if you leave tcp/3389 open to the net on a machine with rdp enabled without renaming the administrator account and using one of the 30 most commonly used passwords in the world, you pretty much deserve whatever you get imho.

SSH + RDP = job done. :)

SSH is built into OSX, there's plenty of info online on how to set it up on a Mac and the and the RDP client for Mac is a free download.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

VNC?

vibe666 wrote: »
    that worm is a bit of a piss poor effort tbh, if you leave tcp/3389 open to the net on a machine with rdp enabled without renaming the administrator account and using one of the 30 most commonly used passwords in the world, you pretty much deserve whatever you get imho.

SSH + RDP = job done. :)

SSH is built into OSX, there's plenty of info online on how to set it up on a Mac and the and the RDP client for Mac is a free download.

Thanks for info on the worm ! I have no shares in the development "company" so no interes to me... :)

Re SSH...OP neds to access a Windows box from MAC !
    How do you get SSH on Windows !?

With the bband specs,forget it..is going to be very slow and unreliable !

@OP.. get a USB stick and problem sorted ! :)

rolion wrote: »
    Re SSH...OP neds to access a Windows box from MAC !
    How do you get SSH on Windows !?
    any one of dozens of different ways. google is your friend.

personally, i would set up an SSH tunnel from the Mac to the home router and use RDP from there.
    With the bband specs,forget it..is going to be very slow and unreliable !
    it's only going to be as reliable as his broadband connection, but RDP will be give a smoother user experience than logmein, teamviewer or even VNC can ever do when connecting to a Windows PC.
    @OP.. get a USB stick and problem sorted ! :)
    you might have to elaborate on this. how is a usb stick going to help him access his windows pc on his home broadband connection from his mac laptop at college on their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭swampgas

Another option - install something like VMware Fusion or Parallels on the Mac, and run a Windows VM with the various dev tools on it. A lot easier in the long run if you have serious work to do.

A month old thread,we keep arguing and thanking from behind our desks and the OP never came back with any updates !

I can say use VPN site-to-site, SSH, Remote Desktop , VNC, Logmein, TeamViewer, TS Gateway ,Uplink speed / Downlink speed,broadband contention/shared home user package ratio ,unknown home router specs,very comprehensive personal experience from behing UPC' 30M/100M connection ... all the fancy names and hard tested proven technologies ... and who is here to say that is or not going to work if OP says ... nothing !?

A usb stick will help him to copy all/some working projects from home computer and work off it on the college computers.At least that is what i did for 4 years in Trinity...
    Also,some colleges runs application level firewall ,blocking suspicious traffic,inside / outside !

PS
    i "thanks" your post because was a wake-up call for me and for my time !
    this is the beauty of IT ...one Question,ten Answers,none of them actually from behind the OP real situation,with real facts ,parameters and test.

A free advise is a free advice ! :)
    I am out... you guys have fun ! :)
    Regards

calm down, it's a discussion, that is how they work. people 'discuss' things. :rolleyes:

the thread was on the 1st page of the S&S forum when i replied, it's hardly like its a 3 year old zombie thread is it?

the OP gave detailed information on exactly what he wanted to do and what he had already tried and the solution i put forward is tried and tested and compared to the other solutions put forward, it is the fastest and most secure.

and yes of course you can say whatever you like, but when you are wrong you have to accept that someone will probably correct you on it and throwing your toys out of your pram when that happens doesn't help anyone.

Advertisement