Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC article about Stranraer-Belfast railway tunnel

Options
  • 22-10-2011 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

How approriate that they chose Thomas to illustrate it.Presumably the tunnel would have gone via Sodor.

I'm surprised this was even considered. The different rail gauge between Scotland and Ireland would have been a major issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm surprised this was even considered. The different rail gauge between Scotland and Ireland would have been a major issue.
    May have been, if such a connection was ever built, that there would have been break-of-gauge interchange facilities built at Belfast.

Of course nowadays, with about 1600 miles of track on the whole island (down from over 3000 at its peak), how expensive would it really be to convert the general railway network from 1600 mm gauge to 1435 mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I seem to remember there being a group about ten years ago who claimed they could regauge the NIR network to 4'8'', they were also going to import steam engines from Britain to run tourist services...

I wish I'd made that up... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

easy enough to do, just add a rail inside the current one on one side.

Not practical or cheap but could be done (apart from pointwork, that'd be a bit complicated)

• Advertisement

They actually did import at least one steam loco which is stored near Newry (i think) The idea never got off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

easy enough to do, just add a rail inside the current one on one side.

Not practical or cheap but could be done (apart from pointwork, that'd be a bit complicated)
    Only a bit, i.e. as far as you want it to go.

Australia has/had a good deal of dual-gauge 1435/1600 mm tracks. This example in Melbourne is interesting, since there's a set of points in the foreground that move 1435-mm-gauge trains closer to the platform. (This is what you would need right now if you wanted to convert Luas to "tram train" in part; although I'd say you'd also have to add low platforms for Luas.)
    450px-Dualgaugedevice.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

corktina wrote: »
    They actually did import at least one steam loco which is stored near Newry (i think) The idea never got off the ground.

That was on the now-defunct Riverstown Mills Railway. An 0-6-0ST if I remember correctly.

Re: the tunnel, there is the little matter of the munitions dumping ground known as the Beaufort Dyke, how is it supposed to get around that??

If SNIP could be laid in spite of Beaufort's Dyke and its contents, a railway tunnel shouldn't be a problem either. If you're really scared of what's in there, there's always the Kintyre alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

dmcronin wrote: »
    That was on the now-defunct Riverstown Mills Railway. An 0-6-0ST if I remember correctly.

I think this is the engine at Riverstown. They reputedly have one of the BREL railbuses (like RB3 at Downpatrick) and an ex-BR brakevan. Not sure if they had any connection with the Eurotrack scheme or whatever the group that wanted to regauge NIR called themselves.

Interesting to note the use of a wooden stepladder on the footplate, it that was done now the H&S crowd would have kittens!

dmcronin wrote: »

Re: the tunnel, there is the little matter of the munitions dumping ground known as the Beaufort Dyke, how is it supposed to get around that??

well of course the arms dump wasnt there when it was proposed.....:rolleyes:

corktina wrote: »
    well of course the arms dump wasnt there when it was proposed.....:rolleyes:

Yes I know that, with or without the explosive nasties I would have thought it was an obstacle.

Niles wrote: »
    I think this is the engine at Riverstown. They reputedly have one of the BREL railbuses (like RB3 at Downpatrick) and an ex-BR brakevan. Not sure if they had any connection with the Eurotrack scheme or whatever the group that wanted to regauge NIR called themselves.

Interesting to note the use of a wooden stepladder on the footplate, it that was done now the H&S crowd would have kittens!

Yeah that's her alright, neat little loco.

Pity she's lying idle in what appears to be a dead project unlikely to restart.
    Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The line to line to Stranraer is in danger of getting shut anyway (Stena being allowed to shut the ferry terminal and relocate to Cairnryan is the last straw imo)

Advertisement