Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative English course ADVICE?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I am repeating the Leaving Certificate, and I am taking a different approach to the English course. I am repeating in a school, and technically registered to the English class, but rarely go in. I am basing the comparative on texts that I have read myself, rather than doing what the class are doing.

The texts that I have selected are:

The Kite Runner.
    The Great Gatsby.
    The Winter's Tale.

And then for my single text: Dancing at Lughnasa.

However in my class, the class are doing, Hamlet (S.T.), then How Many Miles to Babylon?, Dancing at Lughnasa and Inside I'm dancing.

So basically I need advice off someone who knows a lot about the course to say whether they think it is a good idea or indifferent idea to do texts so wholly opposite to the rest of the class, do you think it will negate against me from potentially receiving an A1 as the rest of the class are not doing it or do you think I will struggle sourcing material, comparatives by myself?

Basically should I stick to what I'm doing or just drop the texts and study the ones that are being studied in class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wealthyman

You 'rarely' go in? Then why bother? Your attitude stinks dude. You won't do well if your playing that game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Why not just do whatever you did the first time you did the leaving cert? If you did well, use the same essays; if you didnt do well, do what the class is doing. Do you have a S.T in there though? And my class arent doing Gatsby but we've done The Kite Runner, I dont know how well they'd tie in. The two we're doing with TKR are the constant gardener and purple hibiscus.

in all honesty i think you should just go to class though. best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

wealthyman wrote: »
    You 'rarely' go in? Then why bother? Your attitude stinks dude. You won't do well if your playing that game.

Think you misinterpreted the question. I meant that I barely go into that specific class with regards to the comparative and single text as I am doing my own texts.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Why not just do whatever you did the first time you did the leaving cert? If you did well, use the same essays; if you didnt do well, do what the class is doing. Do you have a S.T in there though? And my class arent doing Gatsby but we've done The Kite Runner, I dont know how well they'd tie in. The two we're doing with TKR are the constant gardener and purple hibiscus.

in all honesty i think you should just go to class though. best thing to do.

Thanks for advice, I do go in, tue teacher isn't the best though, plus the hassle of taking up Hamlet. Dancing at Lughnasa was the text that I had choosen for my single text.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What sort of a school allows you wander about and not go to class? They have a legal obligation to you regarding your safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wealthyman

Think you misinterpreted the question. I meant that I barely go into that specific class with regards to the comparative and single text as I am doing my own texts.

You can't do your own texts, you must do what is layed out on the course.

wealthyman wrote: »

You can't do your own texts, you must do what is layed out on the course.

Interpret that loosely, own as in differing from the rest of the class. The texts are still prescribed in relation to the syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Did you study and prepare your current comparative texts last year? If so, and if you have done theme/issue and GVVP in detail, I don't see the problem in recycling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Are you doing Higher Level? If so, don't you need to do Hamlet as either the single text or the comparative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Hamlet has to be either your single text or part of your comparative. And at this point, given the size of the text and number of possible questions that could come up for it (if you were to do it as a single text, that is) I'd man up and start going to classes if I were you. Mention it to the teacher and they'll probably help you out with the comparative on the side - remember, you're not only missing comparative and single text classes, you still have poetry and paper one to do!

• Advertisement

Hamlet has to be either your single text or part of your comparative. And at this point, given the size of the text and number of possible questions that could come up for it (if you were to do it as a single text, that is) I'd man up and start going to classes if I were you. Mention it to the teacher and they'll probably help you out with the comparative on the side - remember, you're not only missing comparative and single text classes, you still have poetry and paper one to do!

Not necessarily Hamlet. A Shakespearean element has to be incorporated into the paper overall, that can be done either within the Single Text - Hamlet, or it can be tied into your comparative. However Hamlet is not the only Shakespearean drama on the prescribed readings; 'The Winter's Tale' is also on the list of possible texts. I am opting for this instead of Hamlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hamlet has to be either your single text or part of your comparative.

Wrong. A Shakespearean text is compulsory.

OP, are you reusing texts from last year?

Advertisement