Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pokemon black/white: worth it?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

When it came out, I was in that whole "getting back into the series after childhood" phase; and as a result I had two or three in my room that I was already planning on playing through that I hadn't played yet. So I sort of figured "sure, I have enough to keep me going". But now, months on, I'm kind of thinking of getting it.

Is it any good? I remember platinum was a huge disappointment for me, mainly because it was so short. I'm not the type of person who cares about filling the Dex, so it was just not worth getting in my opinion at the time. I never had diamond/pearl either, so it wasn't because it was too repetitive or anything.

Is black/white a good play through? how long is it, compared to platinum? is there a good, interesting storyline?etcetc. Reading some other, similar threads on boards, I'm getting a bit tempted... should I get it?

Footnote: do they still have them in shops, and how much longer will they if they do?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'd definitely go for them. They're very nice updates to the series and it'll give you that nostalgic feeling like popping in Pokémon blue for the first time. New Pokémon, new region etc. As for length of the game it really depends. You can fly through the main story or you can just take it nice and slow and train up your team. I've currently racked up 190 hours on Black and 120 on White. Then again, if you're into trading and collecting there's huge replay value. Storyline is good but isn't majorly different from the other games (evil team trying to take over the world). The shops won't be running out of the game anytime soon because of how popular it is, but just beware of buying online as the likes of ebay is absolutely flooded with fake DS games.

TL;DR Version: Buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Thanks, I think I actually will :) maybe around christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Absolutely they are.

Though it will piss you off mightily when you find out that TMs can be used as often as you like and you start to detest the older games for not having this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I finished Black in 25 hours, White in a little less, I think. But I didn't fight the Elite Four again until 98 hours or something similar. Either game is well worth the money, certainly. And it'll be in the shops for the foreseeable future, they don't tend to go out until the next ones come out, if even then.

And in my opinion, they are better than Platinum in almost every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Hey I wanted to buy HGold in Japanese as a means of practising. Is Play asia the best site for it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

play asia or yes asia would be good places to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Why didn't anyone post this...

YES!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is black/white a good play through?
    Yes and no.

how long is it, compared to platinum?
    Depends on the player and how much they grind, and how many "main" pokemon they have (and therefore have to keep up to speed with the NPC teams they'll be facing)

"is there a good, interesting storyline?"
    No. It's the same story as EVERY OTHER POKEMON GAME. Boy meets pokemon. Boy trains pokemon. Boy turns out to be the most important person to have ever lived in game world. Boy and pokemon embark on highly linear journey to greatness.
    Unless you choose to be a girl.
    It's made worse by the pretty-much straight-line path from the first town to the last, excepting the desert resort. Not that loops and doublebacks make a story more interesting, but they do create an illusion that the world is a.. well, a world, not a game path

should I get it?
    I would wait for the inevitable remix edition at this stage, it's bound to come along in the next 12 months or so. In the mean time there's HG/SS to entertain you.

Advertisement