Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 US GPs From 2013?

Options
  • 22-10-2011 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

So say Autosport. From the description it could work very well on TV, one part of the track with Manhatten in the background and hopefully a faster bit elsewhere! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yeah just after seeing this as well. I'm pretty excited about it but even if it is announced next week its no certainty to actually go ahead. Saying that its pretty clear that if the track gets sorted out that this race will be on the calendar.

Personally I'd love to see two races in the States, its a massive market and this could have a huge influence on making F1 mainstream over there. There is a large fanbase of F1 fans in the country but because of the sheer size of America it is only a small percentage of the population. Adding a race in New Jersey would put F1 to the forefront of the US pysche twice a year.

I was over in Texas a few weeks ago and couldnt get over how many people wanted to talk to me about F1. There is passion over there but F1 needs to tap into it and not wait for them to come to F1.

I would be very surprised if we stopped at just this announcement Mexico are interested in getting a race and Argentina is back on the MotoGP calendar. If we can have these races and Canada, Austin and Brazil on the calendar suddenly there is 6 races in US timezones giving prime time viewing and for the first time since the mid 90s there would be the potential to get F1 onto a mainstream network like ESPN which would be massive in getting fans to the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I suppose the concern would be about which of the European races would make way for more races in the Americas. I can understand about not wanting 20+ races a season from the point of view of some markets would cannibalising but I don't see why adding races over there should cut the numer here despite Bernie saying he doesn't think more than 20 races is sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

There used to be two races before in the USA but americans have never really taken to F1 unlike Canadians. New York/New Jersey would be a great site to have a GP.

However I would be dead set against more European nations losing races. In fact if any nation deserves to lose its GP its Bahrain - you cant go around arresting employees of the circuit and then expect the F1 cicus to set up in town.

First its immoral and wrong and secondly the race itself will become a political event - I cant see Red Bull and other like minded teams wanting to participate.

I can see a point where some races are happening every two years - I think Spa wants to do this for financial reasons. Its also a way to get more venues onto the calender.

amacachi wrote: »
    I suppose the concern would be about which of the European races would make way for more races in the Americas. I can understand about not wanting 20+ races a season from the point of view of some markets would cannibalising but I don't see why adding races over there should cut the numer here despite Bernie saying he doesn't think more than 20 races is sustainable.

I've always taken the view that we need more races in North and South America to bring in more fans to the sport and to really have it as a global sport I think two or three races isnt enough. Look at Asia where now we have five races and its clear that we are growing a profile throughout the world.

Personally as long as Britain, Monaco, Belgium, Italy, Germany and Spain stay on the calendar I think the integrity of the sport remains and Europe can still be the centre of the season.

The race in Bahrain will probably be forced to be taken off the calendar in the next twelve months. Add in Malaysia where after 12 years there is still little support and there is potential to add races to the calendar in the near future.

If we did see the number of races in the Americas increase, even to four or five the only area without an F1 race would be Africa which doesnt look like changing any time soon.

frostie500 wrote: »

If we did see the number of races in the Americas increase, even to four or five the only area without an F1 race would be Africa which doesnt look like changing any time soon.

From what I remember Kyalami was a great track and there were a few murmers recently about a South African GP. How serious that was I dont know. Typical of F1 they ran the race during the height of apartheid when the government backed the race and dropped it soon after democaracy was installed.

• Advertisement

From what I remember Kyalami was a great track and there were a few murmers recently about a South African GP. How serious that was I dont know. Typical of F1 they ran the race during the height of apartheid when the government backed the race and dropped it soon after democaracy was installed.

Kyalami was a stunning track but half of it had to be sold off a few years ago and a housing estate was built on it so its a no go now. World Superbike had been racing there until last year. Outside of that Welcom hosted MotoGP until 2004 but wouldnt be suitable for F1. So unless a new track gets funding there probably isnt much hope of a race there.

Funny story about Kyalami one year a gang burned out every single car in the carpark on one side of the circuit and with all the police at the scene of that crime the gang went to the other side of the circuit and robbed every car from that carpark!

frostie500 wrote: »
    I've always taken the view that we need more races in North and South America to bring in more fans to the sport and to really have it as a global sport I think two or three races isnt enough. Look at Asia where now we have five races and its clear that we are growing a profile throughout the world.

Personally as long as Britain, Monaco, Belgium, Italy, Germany and Spain stay on the calendar I think the integrity of the sport remains and Europe can still be the centre of the season.

The race in Bahrain will probably be forced to be taken off the calendar in the next twelve months. Add in Malaysia where after 12 years there is still little support and there is potential to add races to the calendar in the near future.

If, and only if the tracks being added had something worth going to I wouldn't mind Hungary being dropped. Don't think anyone other than those involved and those who see it as a way to get to go to a GP while their wife gets a sun holiday would be sad to see Valencia going. :pac:

I dunno, as I said elsewhere I wish there was more variation in the tracks F1 so other than that I couldn't have much to complain about. One issue though is that there's an awful lot of people in Britain at least who have the F1 on Sunday afternoon as part of their "ritual" and most likely wouldn't want to see it change even more again. Whether or not that effect is present in other countries I don't know.

If, and only if the tracks being added had something worth going to I wouldn't mind Hungary being dropped. Don't think anyone other than those involved and those who see it as a way to get to go to a GP while their wife gets a sun holiday would be sad to see Valencia going. :pac:

I dunno, as I said elsewhere I wish there was more variation in the tracks F1 so other than that I couldn't have much to complain about. One issue though is that there's an awful lot of people in Britain at least who have the F1 on Sunday afternoon as part of their "ritual" and most likely wouldn't want to see it change even more again. Whether or not that effect is present in other countries I don't know.

Yeah Hungary served a purpose of F1 getting behind the "Iron Curtain" but I dont think any fans would be too upset to see it taken from the calendar, as long as the new tracks actually offer something good. Valencia had the potential to be great but instead its a bit of a dud.

If there was more races in the US timezones it would put F1 onto a 5 or 6pm start time for the UK and Ireland and Canada and Brazil have always generated good viewing figures so I dont think it would be much to be worried about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ditch Bahrain,Hungary and Valencia and add Texas,NY and another South American race. That'd make me very happy.

A race in the NY area would be massive business. Not only for the home market but for the travelling European fans. How many lads would try and head over for it and bring their wives/girlfriends? They get some sightseeing and shopping in as well as an F1 race. It's a win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I wonder would they do a night race with the Manhattan skyline behind it? Might look very cool, but I guess with the time difference and the fact that Singapore has a night race also, it's unlikely to work.

I just hope some of the good tracks aren't sacrificed to make way for this.

I wouldn't care if Bahrain, Valencia or even Barcelona were dropped. But I want them to keep Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Silverstone and some others that I probably can't think of now.

Rumours are that Korea might be wanting to stop hosting their race too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

2 races in the US would be good but does F1 need another street track?

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not only for the home market but for the travelling European fans. How many lads would try and head over for it and bring their wives/girlfriends?
    Not as many as those who can convince the wimmenz that it's a sun holiday in Valencia.
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    2 races in the US would be good but does F1 need another street track?
    Street tracks are fine, the FIA/F1 rules on track design are the problem. Hopefully enough money could make that problem go away. Some of the IndyCar street Circuits would be kickass in F1, we (I assume) want dirt, crowns in the road, gulleys on each side and off-camber esses!

Not as many as those who can convince the wimmenz that it's a sun holiday in Valencia.

I'm lucky - I have a wife who loves F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Why on earth would you want to bring a wimmenz? :cool:

G-Money wrote: »
    Why on earth would you want to bring a wimmenz? :cool:

For some people (*whip noise*) it's hard to get permission to swan off for a weekend alone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Talk of New Jersey GP gather more momentum it seems...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/15440153.stm

The designer of the new track is.... Tilke :(. Oh FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The designer of the new track is.... Tilke :(. Oh FFS!
    New track? Thought it was going to be a street race? :confused:
    The race will run on existing roads through Port Imperial and at the top of the Palisades in Weehawken and West New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yea, but you still need a track designer to design the best track possible given the constraints of city streets, transport, infrastructure etc.

You can't just pick streets at random and hope they fit :pac:

Think Singapore, Valencia, Abu Dhabi it will end up being a poor circuit for racing F1 cars. :(

• Advertisement

Think Singapore, Valencia, Abu Dhabi it will end up being a poor circuit for racing F1 cars. :(

I dunno, I think calling Abu Dhabi or Valencia street circuits is disingenuous as they were designed from the start for F1. Singapore is simply too wide. Judging from how US street circuits have been for the last few decades in IndyCar it could turn out pretty well. I've said before I think there should be far more variety on the F1 calendar and a bumpy, tight street circuit with off-camber turns and high-gradient crowns in the roads would be a great addition IMO.

I dunno, I think calling Abu Dhabi or Valencia street circuits is disingenuous as they were designed from the start for F1. Singapore is simply too wide. Judging from how US street circuits have been for the last few decades in IndyCar it could turn out pretty well. I've said before I think there should be far more variety on the F1 calendar and a bumpy, tight street circuit with off-camber turns and high-gradient crowns in the roads would be a great addition IMO.

I just think Tilke is more likely going to design a Valencia than a traditional US style street circuit.

I just think Tilke is more likely going to design a Valencia than a traditional US style street circuit.

I expect it to be different to most of the current street circuits in America but he'll still have to work with what's already there. Valencia was laid out from the start to be a racetrack so it doesn't count. At the very least I'd like to see a concrete track. :D

Advertisement