Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Decorations with sentimental value

Options
  • 22-10-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Have others got those Christmas decorations that they love and reminds them of something or someone special?

I have a christmas China Doll in a sleigh that my nana bought me years ago..it was in a window display in a shop and the shop owner didnt want to sell it until after christmas but my nana convinced him to get into the window to get it and sell it to her!! My nanas dead now and every time i put my decorations up and take down the doll i smile. She did always get her way.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

There's one decoration that my Mum has that's lasted 30 odd years. It's a blue bauble with a picture of Santa and all his reindeer flying over the snowy rooftops of a town. It means so much to me because it's from a time when I believed in Santa and I used to imagine him flying over my town. I always smile when I see it and it brings me right back to my childhood :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I have my Christmas Stocking, it's nearly as old as I am, it's small and a bit tattered but it's mine and it has my name on it (my nanny got them made for myself & my older sister when we were very little) and I bring it out every year and it gets packed away carefully too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I have a tiny very fragile wooden rocking horse that was my grandmother's. She got it from her mother who died when she was ten, my gran dies four years ago aged 90 so it's over 100 years of age.

She gave it to my dad when I was born & he in turn gave it to me when I moved out & got my first tree.

Goes up every year. Hopefully I'll get to pass it on also.

We also have a family tradition that we started that first year. We bought one of those newbridge silver christmas tree picture frame decorations & took a pic of the two of us in front of the tree.

We've done it every year since, this year is the tenth & we've watched our daughter grow older in them, this year we have twin girls so the pic will be a bit cramped but will go on, we hope to just have lights & these decorations on the tree by the time we have grandkids.

Might be schmaltzy & sentimental, but it will really become our "family Xmas tree".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I tend to buy Christmas decorations from anywhere im visiting around that time, so i have ones from Amsterdam from 12yrs ago, New York, Dubai(yes, they have Christmas decorations there too!), and every time i put them up i remember those times. Kinda cool i think.
    My Amsterdam ones are getting a bit tatty now, the penguins nose broke last year, but he still goes on the tree! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

star-pants wrote: »
    I have my Christmas Stocking, it's nearly as old as I am, it's small and a bit tattered but it's mine and it has my name on it (my nanny got them made for myself & my older sister when we were very little) and I bring it out every year and it gets packed away carefully too.

My bro and I have those too! Every year we have to have our stockings out for Santa! We're 24 and 27 :p

I made some decorations myself last year so I'm very proud of them!

The tree in the kitchen is a mish-mash of decorations that we've picked up over the years on our travels so they bring back lots of good memories :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My Mum had a tradition of buying only 1 new decoration for the tree every year, she did it ever since she and Dad got married. What has resulted is a crazy collection of Christmas decorations that mean an awful lot. I think it's a cool tradition, and lots of thought always went into the one she'd buy every year...

There's a few I love though, but one in particular is this weird yarn angel thing. It's tiny, but the story was there was 6 of them, and apparently our dog at the time (before I was born, and I'm 29!) found them and ate them. Only this one survived (although he managed to take a chunk of wool from it before Mum rescued it!).

Although there's another with my name on it (which is a pretty unusual name, or at least was when I was younger) that she managed to find one year. I was all delighted when I saw it!

My Dad doesn't put up Christmas decorations any more, so I'm going to get to get them! YAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've kept the christmas decorations the boys made in playschool and primary school and they get put up every year. They're teenagers now and I think they're pleased I kept them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i shall remember more as i am putting up the tree but: there is a santa with a present that i remember being around my whole life - not sure how old he is. he is a stubborn bugger and always turns himself to face the tree instead of facing out to the people in the room :pac: my mam says one year i tried to unwrap his present!!!

also have a stocking my aunt gave me when i was a teeny. my mam hated it when i was little cos there was a bell on it that rang every time you picked it up. poor santy. but aparantely i broke the bell soon enough :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Not a decoration as such, but my parents crib is made from the Christmas tree they had their first married Christmas - it's now 54 years old. Dad made each of us a crib from our first Christmas trees in our own houses also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Elliejo wrote: »
    Dad made each of us a crib from our first Christmas trees in our own houses also.

That's a present from the heart, how lucky are you guys!:)

I have my mam's decorations from her early Christmas's with my Dad, I think she knew I would appreciate them.
    Since she died I bought one every year in her memory and place them on the tree,ones I just know she would have bought herself.:pac:

My favourite one is a small Silver tree with a space for a/her picture, it goes at the top of tree every year.

It's bittersweet tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement