Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading to Online Storage / Backup Solutions

Options
  • 22-10-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys.

Let me tell you my story....

Box.net were offering 50bg of free storage for users of ios5 (iphones, ipads etc). Signed up to this last week and it looks great. really neat interface. Great stuff!! I also signed up to Apple icloud as well. Tried backing / syncing up my images on my phone but it said it would take days to upload them to the cloud..... great!! Brilliant.........???

Now, I have 24 gb (a lot I know) of images I want to backup. I have them on an external hard drive but was looking for a better way to keep them backed up.

So I attempted to upload a few folders of images a fews nights ago to box.net which to be honest is taking me a long time........

Upload speeds in this country? shambles.......

I live in Cork and can get a maximum 0.2 mb upload speed. Im with vodafone....

Can some body explain to me that, if Ireland wants to be a leader in Cloud Computing, why, oh why, are the upload speeds in this country a shambles?

It would literally take me a couple of months to upload my images.

I would be interested to see other peoples upload speeds in the country. Also am I trying to upload too many images? Am I using the right service?

As far as I'm concerned the broadband infrastructure in this country is a joke.................

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

kmetelko wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Let me tell you my story....

Box.net were offering 50bg of free storage for users of ios5 (iphones, ipads etc). Signed up to this last week and it looks great. really neat interface. Great stuff!! I also signed up to Apple icloud as well. Tried backing / syncing up my images on my phone but it said it would take days to upload them to the cloud..... great!! Brilliant.........???

Now, I have 24 gb (a lot I know) of images I want to backup. I have them on an external hard drive but was looking for a better way to keep them backed up.

So I attempted to upload a few folders of images a fews nights ago to box.net which to be honest is taking me a long time........

Upload speeds in this country? shambles.......

I live in Cork and can get a maximum 0.2 mb upload speed. Im with vodafone....

Can some body explain to me that, if Ireland wants to be a leader in Cloud Computing, why, oh why, are the upload speeds in this country a shambles?

It would literally take me a couple of months to upload my images.

I would be interested to see other peoples upload speeds in the country. Also am I trying to upload too many images? Am I using the right service?

As far as I'm concerned the broadband infrastructure in this country is a joke.................

Mobile broadband is slow (I assume its mobile broadband you use if you only get .2 upload speed), also if its mobile broadband youll quickly eat into your limit if you upload that much! Be very careful.
    I'm not into this cloud stuff at all, to back up your photos have a large USB Key/External hard drive, even burn off a few DVDs every now and then, have multiple backups rather than cloud storage, its easier especially with poor broadband!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Would you put it on a few dvds and head for a internet cafe, or a friends house. Once you get the initial 24gb up it should be easy to upload the day to day data. In fairness 50gb free is great, shame not to be able to make use of it.

Big Lar wrote: »
    Would you put it on a few dvds and head for a internet cafe, or a friends house. Once you get the initial 24gb up it should be easy to upload the day to day data. In fairness 50gb free is great, shame not to be able to make use of it.

OP wants to backup pictures, so I don't see how that response is relevant. I doubt the only access OP has to his pictures are in a friends house/internet cafe. Not to mention if OP is using midband he probably has a bandwidth limit of around 10gig anyways!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭les succulent ducks

Hi Guys

Nick - Believe it or not but I have Vodafone at Home (http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband). Upload speeds are shocking to say the least. And dont get me started on the mobile broadband. I had this once and it was worse than dialup.........

What would be the standard upload speeds? I see eircom "advertise" 512kps upload? My question is what upload speeds are people actually getting in this country....

Ha Ha. Just seen this bit of information on o2.ie (http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/broadband/broadband-plus.php) "HSUPA Upload speed up to 5.76 Mbps"?? Are they actually taking the piss? I would love to see if anybody has received this speed? Please let me know......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

I meant that he could upload from the internet cafe or a if a friend had a better upload speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

To set things in perspective:
    OnLive offer a new gaming concept where you play any game you want (for a few of course) running off their servers. 30 meg UPC was deemed to slow to run it. We are donkey's year behind re DSL/3G speeds, best you can do is do initial upload in a m8s house who has UPC 100mb speed, once that's done backups are incremental so shouldn't take as long. As previous member said use extenal backups for the moment.

I just don't see the need to upload the whole 20+gigs, whats more box.nets servers are probably US based so even with fast Irish ISPs you will get slower upload speeds. I do use cloud services myself, but limit it to documents and other important not large files, I don't think we've reached anyway near using cloud storage only yet, even with the Chrome books out I think it'll be a fair bit down the road before cloud computing will be feasible for many

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Drop Vodaphone if you can, pretty useless as ISPs go, even compared to Failcom.

Even UPC 25Mb lines only have 2.5Mb up(~ 250KBps). I'm working with 0.5 up :( If you have the limits its possible, it'll just take a while. My Dropbox is 13GB and has big changes daily, its slow, but by the time I commute its usually done :/

Tried using Box.net myself, best I got was about 20KBps, you could probably find a better solution. Maybe look at Windows Live Mesh and sync to a machine in a Relative/Friends house.

Advertisement