Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Compromised

Options
  • 22-10-2011 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

On checking my account yesterday I noticed a €40 debit which I did not recognise. The payee was "Eirshop" of whom I had never heard.

A bank official told me that this name has been seen before in card fraud. He said that fraudsters will try for small amounts first and if they go through will then try for more.

This experience demonstrates the importance of checking bank accounts regularly. If I had not noticed it I could have been cleaned out over the weekend. The only reason I did check was because I was waiting for a lodgement.

The "Eirshop" name is clever – it could be taken for Eircom at a cursory glance.

Card cancelled and twice daily checks by SMS from now on.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have a vague recollection that Eirshop maybe something to do with Vodafone's online shop.

It is true however, that card fraudsters will often try for small amounts first. However, the presence of "Eirshop" alone doesn't make it fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Phone top ups and online bill payment are the two main sites used to de fraud a card.

Apart from the inconvienve your fully covered by your bank on all transactions proved to be fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Phone top ups and online bill payment are the two main sites used to de fraud a card.

Apart from the inconvienve your fully covered by your bank on all transactions proved to be fraud.

That's just what I've been thinking. I'm always careful at ATMs and in shops. If my card was compromised in either of those situations the fraud would have been attempted in a retail outlet.

That leaves online. All of my online payments have been with utilities, including Dublin City Council. No! just thinking! My card is registered with Ebay and Paypal and I recently used it to register for the new Easons Loyalty Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

When handing over your card to pay it can take 2sec to clone it.

When boi/aib finally change over to visa debit they will be sending all their customers the new card. Fraud will increase due to sending these cards out and having wrong addresses and plenty of customers not expecting a new card so they not miss it. Watch this space.

Advertisement